* Export dead People Only

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
lenseonlife
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Export dead People Only

Post by lenseonlife »

Hi,

BACKGROUND: Want to put 'The tree' onto TribalPages but exclude any people still alive.

It is quite possible that, in my geriatric state, I'm going blind

BUT

Can't work out how to export a GDECOM file excluding all living people i.e. include on those with a death. No doubt it is staring me in he face and I'm too blind to see.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help,

Oliver
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Export dead People Only

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Have a look at the Clean Living Persons plugin, and come back if you can't make it do exactly what you want.

CAUTION: Only run it on a copy of your Project because it deletes records
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Oliver.

The process is a little involved.
Checkout the how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media advice, especially the section on how to Export to Website Without Sensitive Data that deals with removing private or sensitive data especially for living people, and refers to the Clean Living Persons Plugin.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin is recommended as it has customised settings for (TPT) TribalPages Tree.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin and plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tpt_tribalpages_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TPT) TribalPages Tree.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lenseonlife
Silver

Post by lenseonlife »

Hi,

Thanks ColeValleyGirl for your reply - I had downloaded that plugin but when I used it as a query during the GEDCOM export, it only exported people still alive.
lenseonlife
Silver

Post by lenseonlife »

Hi TATEWISE,

I'll search for teh GEDCOM EXPORT plug and see how I fare with that

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Oliver, see my Reply, you cannot use a Plugin as a Query.

You need to use both Plugins as Export Gedcom File only formats the GEDCOM file.

Please study the [kb]|[/kb] advice.
lenseonlife
Silver

Post by lenseonlife »

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers, but at my age it is totally confusing and, even though I've spent most of my life programming, just not worth the effort trying to understand all these new terms.

Maybe my question was too simple - only export dead people. Thought it would have been an option somewhere.

I think the easiest way forward for me is to stick to the standard export and then purchase something like GEDSCAPE or GEDCLEAN32 to filter out the records relating to living people.

Will let you know if this turns out to be a simpler option for geriatrics like myself.

Oliver
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, 'only export dead people' depends on how you have captured your data.

Does EVERY living Individual record in your Project have the Living Flag set?

Does EVERY Individual record in your data have a Death Event for people who are no longer alive?
OR do you have some records where there is a Birth Event dated more than 100 years ago but no Death Event?
OR may be some records with no Birth Event or Death Event?
How should the export filter process cope with those records? Who is dead and who is alive?

Furthermore, if those living records are simply deleted then that breaks the relationship links to their living relatives, so a better option is often to keep the record but delete all the details such as the Name and Facts.

The process is not actually that complex for the basic options.
  1. Use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command for all Individuals but Exclude all Media.
  2. On the resulting GEDCOM file run the Clean Living Persons Plugin with its default settings.
  3. Then run the Export Gedcom File Plugin set for (TPT) TribalPages Tree but otherwise default settings.
    (This is optional, but without it TribalPages only uploads the 1st of multi-instance facts such as Census & Occupation.)
  4. Upload the final exported GEDCOM file to TribalPages.
It appears that GEDSCAPE and GEDCLEAN32 are virtually the same as the Clean Living Persons Plugin (which is free) and they all rely on the Living Flag or Birth/Death event dates, but the Plugin has the advantage of using estimated dates where actual dates do not exist and offers more flexible options on how to clean the record. Also you would still have to use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command, otherwise they would upset your master Project GEDCOM.
lenseonlife
Silver

Post by lenseonlife »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that simplified process.

Just did it and it works beautifully - probably helped by the fact that I had birth / death records added for everyone no longer living.

Cheers,

Oliver