* Export from FH6 to TNG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Export from FH6 to TNG

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello All,

The other day, (rightly or wrongly) I decided to have a go at building a website and after a little while and a bit of digging around I decided to buy the TNG website solution. FH6 is (and will always be at the moment) my master software solution. So I will be exporting to TNG but not reversing the process.

I have seen some previous correspondence on this on this site about FH6 and TNG, which was very helpful. So now, I have used the FH6 export facility to produce a Gedcom file that actually worked when I imported it into TNG. Whether it has imported every field I don't know yet, but it doesn't automatically transfer the media / jpeg files. I have a directory structure in the FH6 Media Directory which separates media jpegs into Baptisms, Births, Burials, Census 1841, Census 1851 etc. What is the easiest way of exporting this info to TNG, whom I believe has just one photo directory?

One last question (at the moment), is there an automatic FH6 utility program that will produce a correct and full Gedcom file that is easily imported into TNG?

Thanks for your help.

PP
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Export from FH6 to TNG

Post by Jane »

Have you reviewed how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media?

This includes links to Mike's Export Gedcom File plugin which has options for TNG specifically including media preparation.

Also make sure when doing a web site you remove ALL sensitive information and data for living people and remove any media which is copyright protected.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I endorse everything Jane has said, and if you need specific detailed advice there are several users here who regularly export from FH6 to TNG and will no doubt answer any questions.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin has dedicated settings to exploit TNG features including Media Collection folders.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation for details.

Using the FH File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command alone will NOT produce a GEDCOM file that is acceptable to TNG in many respects but particularly for Media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks Jane and Mike for the information.

I used the Fh6 export option for my first tree and omitted Living and Private flags, but I was not sure about the Media file links option! it is not quite the correct process but it was my first try and it did work.

Mike, I did have a look at your TNG instructions and used your TNG screen dumps as a marker. I will have a go at using your Export Gedcom file and let you know how I go.

Thanks again,

PP
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

I have been one of those users who has been exporting from Family Historian, since v3, and importing into TNG since 2003! Over the years I have changed my processes and now try and do a weekly or bi-weekly update of my 'privatised' data from FH 6.2.7 to TNG v12.1. I do not bring the data back from TNG at all, and do not allow users to update TNG.(it got in one H of a mess when they did!). I import firstly into a sandbox copy of my website running under xampp on my PC, then do a series of Backups in TNG, ftp the bak files up to the server and then restore them there. I have multiple media folders in FH, and have duplicated the structure under TNG, BUT, need to run a script to fix the paths on the TNG side before generating the thumbnails! I use Beyond Compare to keep all the Media files and folders in sync between the sandbox and live sites.
I did start documenting my processes....must complete that!
You are welcome to visit my website : www.1820settlers.com and contact me directly at paul@1820settlers.com to bounce ideas!
Paul Tanner-Tremaine
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this thread to the Importing and Exporting Forum that is more appropriate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry