* importing data from non Gedcom

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
johnwill
Family Historian: V6

importing data from non Gedcom

Post by johnwill »

Sadly my Hard disc crashed using Version 3 thereby losing all of my data.
I have backed up my information as a zip file and am unable to reload into version 6 as yet.
Is there any way this information can be saved and loaded into version 6?
Thank you
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: importing data from non Gedcom

Post by BillH »

John,

Did you create the zip file using Family Historian's File > Backup/Restore command? If so you should be able to restore it using File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup...
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I can't remember what the backup options were in V3 but as Bill says, if you have a zipped backup of the Gedcom you should be able to import it into V6. However the most important difference between V3 and V6 is the Project structure, which was introduced in V4. In V6 in the Project Window click New Project, then click the Help button. This will open a page in the Help files giving guidance on creating a new project by importing a Gedcom.

Did you have any Media files linked to your V3 Gedcom? If so do you have backups of them? It is recommended that media files are held in the Media folder of the FH Project folder and there may be some work involved in locating them and moving them to the Media folder. If you can tell us exactly what you have backed up and where it is we may be able to help further.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I can confirm that FH V3 does feature File > Backup to create a ZIP file of the GEDCOM file only.
Unless the Media files were backed up by some other means, then I'm afraid they are lost & gone.
If that is the case, then please learn from this experience and perform regular full backups in future.
See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for extensive advice.

When you have recovered the GEDCOM file, then see how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects.

Those two topics are included in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Please study them as you have a steep learning curve.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
johnwill
Family Historian: V6

Post by johnwill »

Thank you all for your answers to my query, I have successfully imported my Gedcom files from my backup from V3.
As mentioned I have a steep learning curve for V6 and shall be perusing the knowledge base.
Again Thank you.
Regards
Johnwill