* lost projects

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
hips&hawes
Family Historian: V7

lost projects

Post by hips&hawes »

I made a mess of program, lost everything, restored my main project, but when I close FH 6 and reopen I have to do it all again. I have also lost my other projects. How do I tell FH6 to keep my project and open that one when I open FH6?
hips&hawes

Re: lost projects

Post by hips&hawes »

I have managed to work it out!! Miracles do happen sometimes went into properties and Startup. Still to get the other projects back using restore.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

With out more details of what you did it's difficult to help.

Have you used Windows File Explorer to search for *.fh_proj it's possible you have accidentally moved the Family Historian Projects folder, so if you search you can see where there are projects on your hard disk.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as it not to do with Importing and Exporting to other products.

As Jane says, what were you doing when you "made a mess of program"?

How do you know you "lost everything"?

How exactly have you "restored my main project"?

What forms of Backup have you got for your Projects?

I guess you used Tools > Preferences > Startup > Default Startup File.
You could also use File > Project Window and right-click your Project to choose Set As Default Project.

See how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|> Project Structure that may explain how to undo your mess.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry