* Importing an Ancestry GEDCOM file to FH 6.2.7 with missing media links

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Importing an Ancestry GEDCOM file to FH 6.2.7 with missing media links

Post by PhilWarnWestMoors »

Hello all,

This is Phil Warn back to FH and FHUG after a long gap because of prostate cancer. I have a problem in that if I save my latest database in Ancestry to hard disk as a GEDCOM file and then use it to create a new project in FH, the latter reports no less than 50 missing media links. I allow FH to search the whole hard disk but it fails to find any of the 50.

I am sorry if this has been raised before - I looked and could not identify anything like it.

My simple (!) question is how do I find what is missing?

OR, where does each link exist in the GEDCOM file which is after all a "pure" text file

I am now up to 10,700 souls in that tree, and have still got hundred of Ancestry hints to go through!

IMHO, there have been over the years several bugs in Ancestry which have resulted in missing and faulty links, e.g. my own first cousin, Roger, a fellow Warnies researcher is missing and there are two entries for his own father, my younger uncle.

Given the size of the GEDCOM file it is going to take me a rather long time to plough through it manually.

So, is there any way FH can be persuaded to list out where the link points?

OR, is that an update/enhancement issue?!

Many thanks

Phil
Elder grandson of the last proprietor of Warn's Brewery in Tetbury, Charles Edward Warn who died in St Leonard's Hospital, on the busy A31 Trunk Road between Ringwood, Hants and Ferndown, Dorset, less than a mile from my home in West Moors.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing an Ancestry GEDCOM file to FH 6.2.7 with missing media links

Post by tatewise »

Welcome back to the FHUG Phil.

See how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian under how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website, but that confirms what you have discovered that Media cannot be automatically migrated from Ancestry to FH with a GEDCOM. The problem is that the Media files are all online and the Ancestry export does NOT download them to your PC, so there is not much FH can do about it. You could try complaining to Ancestry. (Most other online Family Trees such as FindMyPast are the same.)

You will have to transfer the Media one at a time by hand.
If you check all the Media records in FH they should give some clue to each online file.

BTW:
Are you new to FH V6?
If so, take a look at how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Should you need any further advice on how to 'synchronise' Ancestry with FH then please ask.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Hi Mike, thank you. I used to have a version of FTM, I have also got My Heritage Family Tree, also Legacy 9, and also GenBox.
OK, I admit, I am a bit of a geek, well actually a lot of a geek!

My computing goes back to August 1966 when I joined the Marconi Company Limited at their research labs in Great Baddow, Essex, given a KDF9 programming manual and told to learn to program in KDF9 Usercode! Then we got a System 4 (an IBM 360 look alike) did the same thing with S4 assembler. Then branched out into higher level languages, Algol 60, Fortran, Cobol, BASIC, Pascal, Ada, etc.

I accept that media files are non-standard add-ons to the GEDCOM 5.5 standard which relates to a purely textual files.

Just got Simon Orde's book on FH6, but have already generated a web site using FH, just need to investigate in detail all the options. The book seems pretty comprehensive - my only criticism being the print size for the contents pages.

Battling at the moment with support at 1&1 who in general do not seem familiar with FTP programs I prefer Filezilla, an update for it having got PUPs attached, lol! Nor can they sort out why generated HTML both from GedSite nor FH is not being uploaded to my new web site warnfamilytetbury.com
Problem is that the first attempts using CoreFTP as the FTP client worked beautifully, but later attempts seemed to clear down the site to its original null state. GRHHH!

Thanks any way for both your and Jane's thoughts.

Phil
West Moors, Dorset
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Phil - I also use 1&1 for my website (generated via GedSite) and, originally, FileZilla for FTP but the latter also started causing me problems last last year so I switched to CyberDuck. Found this to actually be much faster than FileZilla and very easy to setup.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Hi Brent,

Many thanks for your reply. I will go and get Cyberduck too.

Some esoteric names for FTP programs and browsers!

Cheers

Phil
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you see 1&1 Home > Hosting > Webspace & Access > FTP with FTP configuration settings, and Transfer Files Using FTP?
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Hi Mike,

Not properly. Clearly I need to crawl before I walk.

It seems full of essential info.

I am having problems downloading the Cyberduck version for Win 10.

It seems to get to 100% but never complete.

I will now look at some of the alternatives.

Thanks

Phil
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Phil,

I'll go back to your original post about downloading Ancestry Tree media. As you are obviously familiar with a wide range of family tree software this shouldn't be too daunting.

1. Go to the RootsMagic Website and download and install a copy of RootsMagic essentials - the freeware unregistered version of the software is all you need.
2. Grab a copy of the Guidance on the RootsMagic 'TreeShare for Ancestry' facility. - 'Magic Guide' available from http://www.rootsmagic.com/guides/
3. After installing RootsMagic Essentials, follow the Guide to link and download your Ancestry Tree with all linked media. It will take a considerable amount of time if you have a large tree with lots of media!

The end product is, of course a RootsMagic Tree rather than a GEDCOM file but, if you are starting from a relatively low base with moving media to Family Historian it can be far simpler to download all the media files together rather than working through your tree online and downloading the media files one-at-a-time.

Mervyn
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Mervyn,

That is such an elegant solution, thank you so much.

FHUG members are so helpful people!

I will do exactly as you say.

Kind regards

Phil. :D :D :D
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Mervyn,

I only had to look at the links on my Win 10 desktop to see that I actually have a registered copy of RM 7 so will start from there!

Again, many thanks.

Phil
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've updated how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website to include the RootsMagic capability.
PhilWarnWestMoors
Silver

Hi Mike,
OK, thank you for that
Best wishes
Phil