*Importing Media From Ancestry

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
FoxFam
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Importing Media From Ancestry

Postby FoxFam » 12 Jun 2018 08:17

I've read the FAQ and searched these forums and knowledge base. I can't seem to find out why it is that I can't import the media with my GEDCOM which was exported from Ancestry.com. Does Ancestry not export the media files?

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Importing Media From Ancestry

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 12 Jun 2018 08:35

No, Ancestry doesn't export media files -- it's one of the many drawbacks of using Ancestry (or any online tree -- Findmypast is the same, I believe) as your main tree.

I'm afraid you'll have to download the media individually and relink them.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 12 Jun 2018 09:32

Ancestry (and FindMyPast) do not migrate Media files automatically.
See Knowledge Base > Import from Ancestry website, which advises that if you have Family Tree Maker (FTM) then Media files can be included.

(I am working on a Plugin that might be able to migrate such online Media, but it is far from easy, so don't hold your breath.)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

FoxFam
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Postby FoxFam » 12 Jun 2018 19:11

Okay. I don't have FTM. I'm not planning to continue to use Ancestry for my main tree, and this is just one more good reason. However, I do like using it to research. The records are easier to navigate with the little popup that tell me what the column header is. I need to figure out a workflow that is efficient. I don't want to invest any unnecessary time attaching records to a tree I can't export from. At the same time, am I hindered from seeing hints if I don't?

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 12 Jun 2018 19:53

What you do is treat your FH Project as the master database and perform all the updates there.
Then occasionally use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to create a new tree in Ancestry so that tree attracts 'hints' (which does not need Media to migrate in that direction).
But I suspect that once you become familiar with way of working with FH, and search for records in any online databases (including the free ones), then you won't miss the Ancestry 'hints' very much.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

BillH
Megastar

Postby BillH » 12 Jun 2018 20:27

What I do is to put a minimal tree out on Ancestry in order to get hints and also connect it to my DNA results. This aids in getting contacts from others and in matching up with others trees for clues as to whom might be my ancestor. I never download my tree from Ancestry, I just upload a newer version of my tree from FH once in awhile to get more hints.

If I find any new sources from the hints or from searching on my own, I just copy the transcript and put it in my source in FH and then download and attach the image (If there is one) to the source.
Bill Henshaw

Return to “Importing and Exporting”