* Transferring files from one computer to another.

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
zlatarigirl
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Transferring files from one computer to another.

Post by zlatarigirl »

Hi, I have just purchased FH6 and before I import my gedcom file I have some questions. I have a laptop and my big computer, can anyone explain to me how I can transfer data from one to the other to keep both up to date?

I am wanting to delete my tree on ancestry because I am fed up with all the problems and duplicates. I spend more time cleaning up than I do research. So can anyone tell me what they think of Find My Past, maybe I will upload to them.

Thank You.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Transferring files from one computer to another.

Post by tatewise »

Hi, according to your posting Internet Data Matches (13100) in 2015, you already had FH V6 then.
So why have you just purchased FH V6 again?
Maybe you only had the 30-day Trial Version then and have NOT been using FH since 2015.

The basic process for migrating from PC to PC is given in the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

The Further Advice section reminds you to also migrate Ancestral Sources and how to use Project synchronisation tools.

If you need any specific advice then please ask.

See the how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media advice for exporting to FindMyPast especially the Export to Website Without Sensitive Data section.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry