* How to Import formatting from FTM Notes to FH Notes?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
pFane
Family Historian: V6.2

How to Import formatting from FTM Notes to FH Notes?

Post by pFane »

I imported a gedcom file from FTM to FH trial version 6.2.
I have lots of notes on FTM which have regular formatting; eg., indents, tabs, etc.
Example:
1871 census:
John Doe [tab] head [tab] M [tab] occupation [tab] born [new line]
The tabs did not transfer over. Everything is jumbled together on each line:
John Doe head M occupation born OR
John DoeheadMoccupationborn

I can go into each person in FTM, copy the notes and paste into FH with the formatting in tact.
For my 900+ person family I could think about going person by person but it is a deal breaker with my 13,000+ database.

When I add new information in FH Notes Tabbing puts me into the Source window.

I have looked in FAQs and forums and have not found this query. I can't be the only person with this issue.
Is there a solution?
DavidNewton
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How to Import formatting from FTM Notes to FH Notes?

Post by DavidNewton »

I recall having a number of similar problems some years ago when moving data from FTM to FH and I am still proofing all my data.

I can answer one of your questions. When entering text into a note field in the property box detach it into a separate window by pressing the vertical bar at the right of the field. You can then enter tabs in the usual way.

David
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How to Import formatting from FTM Notes to FH Notes?

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I don't recall anyone else having that problem with tabs recently, but others may simply not have used that formatting.
All white-space characters, such as space and tab characters, should import faithfully.
So, may be they have not been exported into the GEDCOM file appropriately?
If you inspect the exported GEDCOM file using a plain text editor such as Notepad are there tabs where you expect them?

I wonder if you have chosen the appropriate FTM export GEDCOM options.
See how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) for details.

The method for entering tab characters is to open the Note edit box by clicking the [...] button on the right of the field.
Otherwise, tab will move from field to field, as in many form entry applications.

As a newcomer I advise you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow its links to other [kb]|[/kb] pages, especially the free Documentation & Tutorials to start with.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry