* Issue importing GEDCOM file to FH

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
sarahstan
Family Historian: V6

Issue importing GEDCOM file to FH

Post by sarahstan »

Dear All,

Hope you can help. I am trying to import a gedcom file (107 people) , created in Ancestry, to bring my family tree across to Family Historian. It's my first day trying to use FH but I've hit a snag...

Weirdly it has imported all of my father's side, my mother - but none of her ancestors. I've had a look at the log file there are no exclusions listed in it.

I've had a look at the gedcom file and I can see that there are 107 individuals in there, so now I'm stuck.

Anything else I need to check to work out what's gone wrong? I'm semi assuming from reading other threads that this is going to be an issue with the gedcom file, but hoping it will be something I can sort out, once I know what to do.

Thanks for your help

Sarah
sarahstan
Family Historian: V6

Re: Issue importing GEDCOM file to FH

Post by sarahstan »

A bit more tinkering revealed that it appeared everyone had been imported but the family links between my mother and her parents weren't there.

Once I found her parents and added her to their family everything has appeared beautifully. So I'm guessing that there is something wrong in the gedcom file with the family part of her record. I can't see why that should be on Ancestry in that her record looks just like all the others which worked. However, I have everyone showing up, which I'm very pleased with!

Apologies if anyone has spent any time trying to figure out what went wrong.
Tony Jones
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Post by Tony Jones »

At least you're sorted, which is the main thing! Welcome to FH!
Using an iMac Ventura Intel via Parallels v19 / Win 10 64-bit
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Yes, welcome to the FHUG Sarah.

Your analysis would appear to be correct.
Is there anything in the Window > Log Files about one way or incomplete links between Individual and Family records?

Try exporting the GEDCOM from Ancestry again to see if it was a one-off glitch.

Take a look at how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website, which is one of the many topics reached via how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry