* Importing BMD Registration Events

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
cheshirealan
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Importing BMD Registration Events

Post by cheshirealan »

I am looking to migrate away from TMG to FH but on my test transfers I find that BMD Registration events are not treated as alternatives to actual births, death, marriage events as they are in TMG.

For example I don't know when person A is born exactly but I do know when the birth was registered, eg Sep 1853 for sometime in the September Quarter of 1853. I don't want to guess a birth date but can add it later if it becomes known.

TMG allows, for example Birth/Birth Reg/Bap as alternatives in a group of Birth events.

How can I achieve the same in FH?
How do I ensure correct ordering of events in FH instead of using the sort date that I have in TMG, e.g. Birth and Death both registered in same quarter.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Importing BMD Registration Events

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Alan.

As a newcomer please study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and its links to other [kb]|[/kb] pages.

The first thing to recognise is that some features of TMG and FH are different, so certain details cannot be handled in the same way, and that is typical of all genealogy products. I suspect you would find similar difficulties in migrating to other products.

FH is closely based on the GEDCOM specification, so only standard GEDCOM BMD Events are considered for BMD dates. Those are Birth, Baptism, Christening, Marriage, Death, Burial & Cremation. Custom events such as BMD Registration are not considered and cannot be included in those groups.

I think there is only one viable solution, which could be automated with a Plugin.
Create new standard BMD Events with a Quarter Date range and BMD Index citation based on the BMD Registration facts, except where a BMD Event already exists.

In addition to explicit Dates, FH sorts facts according to their Normal Time Frame such as Shortly After Birth or Post-Death. One task you have is to define all the custom facts imported from TMG by using Tools > Fact Types which is similar to the TMG Fact Tag definitions. So the Birth Registration would have a Normal Time Frame for Shortly After Birth and Death Registration for Post-Death and that would sort them into correct order when they have the same Date or no date at all.

In addition there is an Order Facts by Sort Date Plugin under development, that allows TMG Sort Dates to be imported, and where there is ambiguity sorts FH facts into order. It also allows those Sort Dates to be exported to products such as GedSite that honours them similar to TMG.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Alan

The way I handle this is to record the birth date as 'abt "year"' and have the location as Reg District .... and then in the source I have the GRO reference details of quarter date and volume page and registration district. Family Historian allows you to have multiple sources for an event. As a result when/if you find the actual birth date and place they can be added as a second source to the event and the date can be changed from an about date to an actual date and the place can be similarly updated. Both sources will be retained attached to the birth record.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Alan,
I use a similar method to Colin, but I use Year and Reg District for births in Q2-Q4, as they must have been born in that year*, but use abt Year and Reg District for births in Q1, as births registered in this quarter, could have occurred late in the previous year. For example, my father was born Dec 18, but registered Q1 the following year.

* Using the reasonable assumption that registration took place within the permitted window!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com