* Re-import from MyHeritage - Place records

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Cowilf
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Re-import from MyHeritage - Place records

Post by Cowilf »

Sometimes MyHeritage gives me the possibility to add a whole list of descendants or other. Instead of importing them one by one I tried to import a branch of MyHeritage. To my surprise, after merging, I end up with a set of new source records, called "Ω Place Record". Seems that all my previous place records from FH are now also source records. Is this normal?

F.y.i. this is how I proceed
- FH, tools, plugins, Export Gedcom file -> (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree, UTF-8
- import in MyHeritage
- expand with smart matches and synchronize
- Family Tree Builder, file, export Gedcom -> include selected people, include photos etc
- open the exported file in FH

Your advice would be appreciated.

BTW: still January, so best wishes to all :)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Re-import from MyHeritage - Place records

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as it says near the beginning of plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin Help & Advice:
The philosophy is that ƒh holds the master database, and the exports are secondary copies for other products, perhaps to obtain online hints in Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, etc, or to carry on a tablet when visiting record offices, churches, relatives, etc. Thus it is not critical that every tiny detail migrates from ƒh to the secondary product database. Migrating every detail is often not possible anyway, because of the various dialects of GEDCOM in use. Migrating the data back from the other product into ƒh is unlikely to succeed.
That last sentence is most relevant.

In this case, MyHeritage does NOT support Place records, so when you export from FH they are converted into synthetic Source records with the Ω prefix. If you check in Family Tree Builder > View > Sources you will find them.

That is what is being imported and merged back into FH.

You can exclude them from being exported from the Plugin on its Extra Options tab Place Record 0 @P%d+@: setting as mentioned in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:std_standard_gedcom_5.5#place_records_plac|> Place Records (_PLAC).
Or in FH after import, you can easily select all the synthetic Source records with the Ω prefix and delete them as explained in how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records.

But you should also review the data imported from MyHeritage in some depth before merging as advised in glossary:merge_compare_files#merge_compare_procedure|> Merge/Compare Procedure in order to remove any MyHeritage custom GEDCOM data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry