* Importing from Relatively Yours 3

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
JudithMcK
Family Historian: V6

Importing from Relatively Yours 3

Post by JudithMcK »

I have been using Relatively Yours 3 for some years and it is now not being supported. I have now got Family Historian6 and would like to import from Relatively Yours 3. I can import into RY3 from a GEDCOM file but not export. How do I produce a GEDCOM file from RY3 for Family Historian? Or do I start from scratch using a fully detailed list from RY3?
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing from Relatively Yours 3

Post by PeterR »

Have you seen the following thread from 3 years ago?
Advice on importing from Relatively Yours 3 (12183)
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Judith.

As a newcomer I strongly advise you spend some time studying our how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow its links to other [kb]|[/kb] pages, in particular how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian.

Alison posted Advice on importing from Relatively Yours 3 (12183) a couple of years ago.
That suggest that there is an export GEDCOM file command, and http://relatively-yours.sharewarejunction.com/ says in the Description Read more... under Main Features that it offers a GEDCOM import and export capability to the latest standards.

From Alison's posting it seems that even with a GEDCOM there may be plenty of adjustments needed, so depending on the size of your database there may be advantages in starting from scratch. BUT do spend time understanding how FH works and a consistent data entry strategy that makes best use of its features and suits your way of working.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I found some instructions for RY2 so hopefully RY3 is similar

• Relatively Yours II

1. From the Family menu choose Export > GEDCOM. The GEDCOM Export Wizard appears.
2. Click Next.
3. Choose Personal Ancestral File (PAF) from the Destination System list.
4. Click the ... button at the end of the Output File Name box.
5. In the File name field, type a name for the GEDCOM file.
6. In the Save in field, select the drive and folder where you want to place your file.
7. Click Save.
8. Click Next and fill in your name and address, if desired.
9. Click Next and fill in any comments, if desired.
10. Click Next and select the Format Addresses in structured form option.
11. Click Next and then Finish to create the file.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If that still works in RY3 then what options are available from the Destination System list?

If only PAF is relevant, then how_to:import_from_paf|> Import from Personal Ancestral File (PAF) gives useful advice.

I have found a trial copy of RY3 and the Help still refers to a Family - Export - Gedcom command, but there is no Family menu, only a Group menu that does have an Export option that is greyed out until Open > All (Combined) Members is chosen, then Export > GEDCOM is available and the only viable option is PAF.

I have investigated the GEDCOM exported using the sample project.
The options I chose were:
Select the required export characteristics
Destination System: Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
Gedcom Version: Release 5.5 (no choice)
Output File Name: anything appropriate
Customise the Gedcom Export File
Tick Expand countries and states to full names
Tick Include narratives (life histories) in export with as Text selected
Tick Include passport images in export
Maximum line width set to 255 (maximum allowed)

Much of the data imported to FH OK, but there are many UDF most of which can probably be deleted.
JudithMcK
Family Historian: V6

Post by JudithMcK »

Thank you - I did find the export option to a GEDCOM file after some searching. I have had a look at in in Family Historian and it seems that I might need to do a bit of checking and editing. I have got a pdf of the (hopefully) full details of what I had in RY3. So, with some checking etc, which may take a while, I will have an up-to-date family tree, which I can then add my husband's forebears in, which my daughter has researched.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, but spend some time studying our how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow its links to other [kb]|[/kb] pages, in particular how_to:import_from_paf|> Import from Personal Ancestral File (PAF) and how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF).