* Importing double dates

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Kim Travis
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Importing double dates

Post by Kim Travis »

I've imported from a Gedcom file produced by Peditree, and the double dates in it, eg a birth date of 3 Feb 1751/2 are fine in the Gedcom file but have been imported into FH as date phrases, eg "3 Feb 1751/2". What have I done wrong, or what can I do to fix these?

Thanks

Kim
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing double dates

Post by mjashby »

Kim,

I believe the New Year in 1752 started on 1 January in England & Wales, so the last year for 'double-dating' would be 1750/51. FH is flagging up the error by altering it to a 'date phrase'.

Edit: Missed the point that double-dating also uses xxxx/xx not xxxx/x as used by some software which might also be the problem.

Mervyn
Last edited by mjashby on 28 Jan 2018 22:25, edited 3 times in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The GEDCOM format for double dates is given in YEAR_GREG: on page 56 and needs two digits after the slash.
The current Fix Date Fields Plugin corrects the PediTree single digit version.

Mervyn's point is partly true regarding the maximum year often being 1752 but many countries did not change until much later (Turkey in 1927) so FH allows double dates for any years. However, the Plugin does use the 1752 limit and may be it should not? See FH Help for The Gregorian Calendar.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

tatewise wrote:Mervyn's point is partly true regarding the maximum year often being 1752 but many countries did not change until much later (Turkey in 1927) so FH allows double dates for any years. However, the Plugin does use the 1752 limit and may be it should not?
@Mike
Working on my converter for Tony's SVG programme my experience says that the 1752 should be removed from the plugin and any double date should be allowed.
Kim Travis
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by Kim Travis »

Thanks all for the info. Just to be clear, I'm getting the same error with double dates from long before 1752, so it must be the digits after the slash that is the problem,

Kim