* TMGv9.05 Exhibits (Pictures) to FHv6.2

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
Gordon Lloyd
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

TMGv9.05 Exhibits (Pictures) to FHv6.2

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 26 Jan 2018 15:20

My TMG exhibits (1208 in total) are stored externally, as advised by Wholly Genes (the software cannot handle this amount internally). Within TMG I have linked each exhibit to a source and a tag (fact in FH).

When I imported my TMG data into FH the exhibits (pictures in FH), as expected, did not appear with each source / fact. Is there a 'slick' way of me importing the exhibits into the appropriate positions in FH, i.e. with each source / fact, or do I have to do it manually one at a time?

jimlad68
Megastar

Re: TMGv9.05 Exhibits (Pictures) to FHv6.2

Post by jimlad68 » 26 Jan 2018 16:06

This is not my area but I know there is Auto Repair Links

This old post has some good pointers:
Plugin to check external file links (15393)
Don't forget the Help for the Auto Repair Links.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://wcbeta.rootsweb.com/trees/15314 ... 1&letter=A

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 26 Jan 2018 17:21

According to Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) when using direct import "Every Exhibit becomes a Media Record".

So are you saying you have no Media Records at all?
If you click the camera icon Media button and choose View All Media what is displayed?
If you use Tools > External File Links what is listed?

When you say they "did not appear with each source / fact", where exactly did you look?
In the Facts tab did you try the Show Media button both in the Facts pane and the yellow Sources For pane?

If they really have not been imported then that sounds like a bug to report to Calico Pie.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 27 Jan 2018 18:06

I now realise that apparently all my exhibits/media records indeed have been imported to FH. So far as I can tell they are all displayed via Media>View All Media and are all listed via Tools> External File Links.
In the Facts tab> Facts pane and clicking on a fact which is shown to have media attached and then clicking on the View All Media ' button only the 'View All Media' option is available; the 'View Media for Selected Record' and 'View Media Linked to Selected Record' options are greyed out. I do not know why this is. So I appear to be nearly there but not quite. Any help here would be much appreciated.
Apologies for my ignorance Mike and Jim, am having difficulty in finding the time to fully get to grips with FH. Many thanks.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 27 Jan 2018 18:36

OK you are nearly there, so when in the Facts tab, look in the toolbar below, and use the Show Media button that has the same icon as to the right of the fact. There is a similar button the the yellow Sources For pane. The two buttons show slightly different media depending on where they are attached and the options chosen.

With the Property Box and Facts tab open, press the F1 key to obtain contextual help with that tab.
The same goes for many other windows and tabs that do not have an explicit Help button.

BTW: With media shown in the Media Window (where you looked earlier), select any pictures and run the Where Used Record Links Plugin to obtain a Result Set of everywhere those pictures are used.

When you first posted last year, I advised that you study the topics in Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers.
Think how long it took you to become conversant with TMG, and spend a similar amount of time with FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 28 Jan 2018 17:37

Many thanks Mike