* Import tree + images to Ancestry.com trees.

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Import tree + images to Ancestry.com trees.

Post by jimlad68 »

Before I give up, just wondered if anyone has managed this.

Import tree + images to Ancestry.com trees.

I have used Plugin Export Gedcom File used default ANC Ancestry settings
Multimedia (PART~LMO) > creates file with images in a folder
Zip that folder with 7z(zip format) and amended the ext to *.gedz
as in https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... edcom.aspx

- Upload to Ancestry which reads the file but I get the messsage 'Error: The file you have specified (gedl.gedz) does not appear to be a valid GEDCOM file,'
- Tried just Gedcom only in gedz file, fails.
- Tried Gedcom file as *.ged and loads OK.

I searched around and could only find a 'conjecture' (2011) that it needed to be exported from FTM and it seemed to work in 2008!
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/threa ... provements

I suspect it will not work now.

I suppose the other options would be to export to Rootsmagic, new FTM, possibly the old FTM2014. However, not sure if it is worth the effort as trees are only viewable to Ancestry subscribers and invitees!

Rootsweb trees still seems the best 'public' option, but there seems to equivalent with images.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Import tree + images to Ancestry.com trees.

Post by tatewise »

The processes that work or don't work are covered in the Export Gedcom File Plugin Help & Advice.
However, some of that relies on users providing up-to-date feedback.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:output_formats|> Export Gedcom File ~ Output Formats and choose your target products.

Ancestry has no mechanism for uploading Media automatically. (gedz files only work in conjunction with FTM.)

FTM does upload Media and then synchronises them with Ancestry (unless anyone knows differently).

RootsMagic does upload Media and can "Publish family history & pictures online with free My RootsMagic online service".

RootsWeb not sure about Media.

What are you trying to achieve?
Have you considered FindMyPast or ZoomPast?
FindMyPast does have a Media ZIP file upload mechanism although we have found it is not 100% reliable.
You do NOT need to subscribe to Ancestry nor FindMyPast to be able to upload and share family trees.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike, thanks for the confirmations.

'What are you trying to achieve?' - It's early days yet as I have very few pictures in my tree, I'm just playing around to see what is possible.

My underlying principle is: - NO SYNCING, JUST ONE MASTER and backups and/or copies.
So when it comes to easy, public sharing, and posterity, at present I rely on Rootsweb (free public access to anyone) but no images there.

You say 'You do NOT need to subscribe to Ancestry nor FindMyPast to be able to upload and share family trees.' but from my experiments with Ancestry it is only 'publicly' available to subscribers and invitees and findmypast only seems to be available to those invited. And My Heritage seems to be even less public, without a sucscription.

I have not yet investigated the familysearch trees, but they do seem rather contentious and 'open to incorrect amendments'

More investigations needed, but no rush.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

'What are you trying to achieve?' includes 'Are you looking for free online solutions to share trees with images?'

You can transfer your Gedcom to a free online account in Ancestry, FindMyPast, or ZoomPast.
You then grant other people online access to your tree via their free online account.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Yes, but they are not freely publicly searchable. Even if you create your own website it is not there for posterity. But, as I say it is early days yet, more research to do. Might reluctantly be familysearch trees as the best bet for posterity, albeit potentially inaccurate.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is why I asked 'What are you trying to achieve?' and now you are slowly revealing your objectives.

Any Ancestry tree and FindMyPast tree can definitely be an indexed searchable Public Tree even with a free account which presumably would last indefinitely ~ I've had an Ancestry free account for many years.

See https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/articl ... ee-Privacy that says even Private trees are searchable.

See https://www.findmypast.co.uk/frequently ... her-people that mentions the Public Tree setting.

Regarding FamilySearch Family Tree, as identified in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:fst_family_search_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (FST) Family Search Family Tree under Import Details, it is NOT possible to automatically upload a GEDCOM file into the Family Tree and Media are NOT bulk uploaded. Once the GEDCOM is uploaded, the rest is an entirely manual process, record by record, and image by image.

See https://www.familysearch.org/ask/salesf ... amily-Tree.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

cheers Mike, more food for thought!
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Jim, I am also interested in preserving my research after I fall off my perch and making it freely available. I did consider FamilySearch BUT I understand it works a bit like a Wiki and people can alter your tree. NOT what I want at all!
I have settled on Ancestry for now and uploaded Gedcoms. I then (don't gasp!) went gradually through every person and did checks and additions. Yes, I admit I am a control freak!

When I've finished with Ancestry I shall consider also using Tribal Pages, which come with recommendations from members of Family Tree Forum.

Anne
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would not recommend TribalPages for a number of technical reasons.
The most significant is that it does NOT support multiple instances of any Facts, so you can only have one Census Event, one Occupation, one Residence, etc, per person.
It does not support several other standard Gedcom fields, and does not bulk upload Media.
A workaround is to create custom facts, but it says a free account only allows 2 such facts, although my experiments suggest a few more.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tpt_tribalpages_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TPT) TribalPages Tree for details of the amount of adjustments the Plugin must perform.

A drawback of Ancestry and FindMyPast free accounts is that you cannot attach Sources from their database of records, but that may not be a concern.

I am sure this topic of a perpetuity archive has been discussed before, and that one proposed solution was to contact your local Family History Society and they may have family tree archive facilities, but may be my recollection is wrong.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Thanks for that Anne, and the interesting provisos from Mike. I did use Tribal pages some time ago and have viewed other people's pages. At that time there were also some data issues, I think text fields got truncated on either import or export, but that might be fixed now. However I am surprised after all this time they have not fixed the issues that Mike mentions, to me that shows a lack of development, (sunsetted), just milking an existing enterprise. However, in terms of posterity it could be another option.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My recollection was correct, see Where to host tree for posterity (13946).

That was derived from Where to host tree online so I can share it (13929) which mentions the option of an FH Publish > Make a Family Tree CD/DVD, which is virtually free and multiple copies could be archived with various people.

May be this topic needs a [kb]|[/kb] entry to collate the pros & cons of various alternatives.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

AnneEast wrote:... I did consider FamilySearch BUT I understand it works a bit like a Wiki and people can alter your tree. NOT what I want at all! ...
We need to distinguish here between the various bits of FamilySearch. FS FamilyTree is indeed a Wiki type thing and anyone can come along and alter your work. Of course, all those alterations will be from expert genealogists and fully sourced and if you believe that then I have a bridge here that you might be interested in buying.... Anyone working in FS FT who knows even slightly what they're doing, will tell you that you must have the original of your data on your PC in case someone with motives ranging from well meaning to plain stupidity, alters your data incorrectly.

So no, not what you're after.

However FS has other parts - in particular you can submit your own GEDCOM to that part of FS called Genealogies https://www.familysearch.org/family-trees (as distinct from that bit called FamilyTree). Once loaded, only you can alter your stuff - no-one else can. Warning - I work quite extensively with FS FamilyTree because I have a profound distaste for seeing my relatives having themselves as parents or grand-parents. I do not use the FS Genealogies so I'm not 100% sure if even you can alter something once it's loaded. The operative words are at the foot of https://www.familysearch.org/family-trees and read:
Contribute your research to the FamilySearch.org community
Make your family tree available here to help other researchers. Your submissions remain in your control, preserved indefinitely, to review or remove as you see fit.
It's not explicit to me that "review" includes "update".

I suspect, but do not know, that the load only covers a GEDCOM and not media.
Adrian
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... amily_tree
The FamilySearch website allows GEDCOM files to be uploaded to a Pedigree Resource File
.... By default all Media are excluded because FamilySearch does not upload them.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Adrian, I believe that is all pretty much covered in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:fst_family_search_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (FST) Family Search Family Tree under Import Details, and the same goes for the other products that Plugin supports. I spend considerable time investigating and documenting what works for each product.