* Exporting TO Legacy 8/9

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Exporting TO Legacy 8/9

Post by David Potter » 17 May 2017 13:28

Hi Forum

Does anyone export to Legacy 8 or 9. I would like to use FH as my Master Database and export regularly to Legacy 9 Deluxe which I have now purchased. I have tried this already and with what appears to be good success. But was wondering has/does anyone do this already and could advise what to look out for problem wise.

Many Thanks

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting TO Legacy 8/9

Post by tatewise » 17 May 2017 14:56

I am confused David.
Hasn't that already been covered in Gedcom Export: Full File Path for External File Links (13652) with advice from Ron Krzmarzick who does that export regularly?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter » 17 May 2017 17:12

Hi Mike

That was mostly for media files and any special settings Ron uses when he runs your plug-in to create the Gedcom. What I would like to hear now is any particular issues found when working with that gedcom data when in Legacy 8 or 9. I have noticed that Marriage event Witnesses are not created, whereas Baptism Witnesses are created. Also Name only Witnesses get posted into Note fields and do not exist in their own form within Legacy as they do in FH.
So more so from a Legacy perspective of using that FH exported Gedcom data.

Cheers

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 May 2017 17:47

I can answer the one about Name Only Witnesses.
See Knowledge Base > Export Gedcom File ~ (LFT) Legacy Family Tree from the Plugin Help & Advice where it explains "Individual Witnesses are retained but Name Only Witnesses are moved to a Fact local Note with a Witness Role: label."
That is because Legacy does NOT support Name Only Witnesses.
But if things have changed then let me know.

I wonder if Legacy also does NOT support Witnesses at all on Family events such as Marriage?
Can you try adding a Witness to a Marriage in Legacy?
If it won't allow that, then I will need to update the Plugin for such cases.

I have spent much time over the years experimenting with many products in order to get their Gedcom dialect correct, but products do move on, and I rely on feedback from users to keep up-to-date.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter » 17 May 2017 18:10

Hi Mike
I did read all there was in LFT section of the plug-in and saw that note about the name only witnesses. That's quite a loss because I always search FH to see if the Registrar or Minister already exists so as not to type what I think it looks incorrectly. Anyways I did read the help.

I'm still a novice with LFT 9 but will test out the Marriage Witness ? and report back.