* Trf FH to Mac computer from usb stick?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
barbaramac
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Trf FH to Mac computer from usb stick?

Post by barbaramac »

Hi have used FH for years on my laptop windows, which has now been sabotaged everything is encrypted & I can't use that computer anymore unless I pay thousands of dollars, that won't happen. Am wanting to get a Mac book pro next week, will I be able to import my fh from the usb stick, I know I will need to run Parallels or Crossover, will fh work with Parallels installed? Jut thought I would check before I buy the Mac. :?:

Barb
RSellens
Famous

Re: Trf FH to Mac computer from usb stick?

Post by RSellens »

Hi Barb,
I have been running FH on Parallels for a number of years, first on Vista and now Windows 10. The main thing is to make sure that you have plenty of memory so you can split it between the MAC and Windows with each having a decent amount to run.

Richard
Last edited by RSellens on 03 Dec 2016 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Valkrider »

Yes FH runs fine under Crossover and any of the VM's.

I have found it useful to map a drive in the VM to a folder on the Mac side and it then makes passing files, images etc easy between the two sides.

On my iMac I use VirtualBox running Windows 7 and on my Air I use Crossover because of the lower footprint as the Air is limited with storage. It also works successfully with Wine too so you can actually do it at no cost and without a Windows licence.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A local computer shop should be able to reformat and reinstall Windows the way it was when you bought the laptop for a lot less than thousands of dollars, probably about $100 to $200.
Then you would need to reinstall FH and restore your data files from external backups such as your USB stick.

Whichever option you choose (Windows, MAC, Parallels, VirtualBox) you will need the FH installation Media and Licence details. They may be a bought CD or bought download from Calico Pie. Do you have them?

See how_to:family_historian_on_imac_ipad_android_etc|> Family Historian on Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc.
See how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover & Wine.
See how_to:family_historian_ancestral_sources_on_oracle_virtualbox|> Family Historian & Ancestral Sources on Oracle VirtualBox.
For Parallels and VirtualBox you will have to buy a Windows 10 Licence, but not for Crossover or Wine.
VirtualBox and Wine are free, but the others are not.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Firstly thanks to Richard,Colin & Mike for the input, have taken notes on what you all say, will look into those suggestions. Mike I'm not sure anyone would touch the computer its frozen with a vicious email which has encrypted everything, they demand a ransome to release the files, I thought if these viruses are removed, no guarantee they won't reinvent themselves and come back!! Yes I am sure I still have the licence Numbers, it was a download from Calico Pie, I know I have the licence number not sure about Media info, how would I get on if I don't have that??( I guess I just give my genealogy away then). Heading off to store to decide if I go with Apple or windows computer today, might have to do another post once I try loading it onto new computer.

Many thanks
Barb
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Barb, if the PC disk is completely reformatted and Windows reinstalled from scratch there is absolutely no risk of being reinfected from that Email. The virus is not being removed on its own, but the whole disk is completely wiped clean as if brand new, and then restored to a just bought state.

To retrieved your downloaded media from Calico Pie see how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems that has been used successfully by dozens of others in the same predicament.

Even if you chose to use another genealogy program on the Mac, you should be able to import your FH GEDCOM file and continue your research, so don't discard it.
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Hi Mike,
Thank for that I will take computer in to a techie guy and see if they can reformat disk, I don't want to use any other genealogy program very happy with fh.

many thanks
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Hi again,
Got new computer (windows, thought it would be an easier reload), tried the usb stick they have frozen that also the external hard drive...managed to get into dropbox, found the backup file, sent it to my email, to open it I need to select app to open this, what app would open the back up file, the windows 10 say open as hbiwav file??? I don't understand this. Any suggestions which app I should download?

Help is much appreciated.
Barb
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With this sort of complex scenario you have got to gives us a lot more clues.
What is the full filename of the backup file?
Does it look like a FH backup?
Why send it by E-mail, just log into your Dropbox account on new PC.
Have you retrieved your FH installation Media and Licences from Calico Pie as advised?
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Yes I have licence key, file name: FHProject Backup barbstreefamhist 2016: zip.AKOPEj
Notepad can't find path to file. I emailed it to myself as dropbox had suspended my password, had to change it via email msg but my comp did not want to receive emails for my address as I had just changed password there as well, did not want to lose the file so emailed to another address.

Barb
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

An FH Project Backup filename has the following format:
FH Project Backup - barbstreefamhist - 2016-07-30 1120.zip

But I don't understand the .AKOPEj on the end.

Anyway to restore such files you need to use FH, so install FH using the installation download file.
Assuming you upgraded from FH V5 to FH V6 it will have a filename like upgrade_fh_v5_to_v6.0.0-dl.exe
It will ask for your V5 and V6 Licence details.
You did get all that stuff as advised in how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems?

Then upgrade to the latest free download.

Finally use the FH command File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup and select that FH Project Backup file.
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

HI, I have done all you say to do,family historian is now on new computer, all blank of course, I have tried to trf the file over to fh won't let me do it not sure if its because I have not used windows 10 before or if the file was affected with the virus too and thats why the extension of file is different.
I did get to be able to put it on desktop, on another usb as well but I can't trf into family historian not sure what I am doing wrong.File extn still as hbiwav.
Barb
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't know how many times I have said this over the years, but vaguely saying "won't let me do it" or "did get to be able" or "can't trf into" doe not help me help you.

You know what commands you tried, and what messages you got, but I cannot read your mind, or tell you what you are doing wrong, unless you tell me exactly what you did, what commands you used, the names of files, and what happened, etc, especially in these fault recovery scenarios. Screen-shots are useful because there is no disputing what they show.

How and when did that FH Project Backup - barbstreefamhist - 2016-07-30 1120.zip... file get created?
On Tue Dec 06, 2016 you say it had .AKOPEj extension but now you say it has .hbiwav extension, so that confuses me.
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Hi Mike,

It all confuses me at the moment, I took a screen shot as you suggest, how do I get it onto this site, I can only work out to share with an email, I took a copy of it ,pasted it onto this section but all it shows is ( cid:8338EFA4-DC19-4723-BF73-6CE1322BC8C0@BigPond).

I am giving up for the moment I can't get my head around it, when I have sent the gedcom file to fh it shows the name of the project but says the file cannot be open as path is invalid. (I have just finished 18months chemotherapy & Radiation and not up to having all this trouble for such a stupid little thing that I thought could be solved (possibly its me). Shall get back and teach myself Windows 10, had been using 8.1 and mostly my Mac computer.

Many thanks for your help and understanding.
Barb :!:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Barb, I should have said that to attach a screenshot to use the Attachments tab that is hiding below the Post a reply text box if you scroll a bit. You can also use Drag & Drop but not Copy & Paste.

I suspect the best way forward is for you to contact Calico Pie as described in how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting and explain your predicament. They will probably use remote PC access to investigate your files and rectify matters easier than I can, as they will be able see exactly what backups you have and expertly know how to restore them using FH tools.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

Just FYI I had a look at Barb's problem. All her files had been encrypted with a ransomware virus hence all the funny extensions. I managed to get her a project up and running from her MyHeritage Gedcom, it was not completely current but it did at least get her back up and running with FH with the majority of her research present.

Unfortunately all her projects and their backups were encrypted by the virus. So this is something to be aware of for everyone.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Colin for helping out.

We advise all our computer club members to install the free edition of CryptoPrevent with its Default protection plan, that inhibits most crypto-ransom-ware.
barbaramac
Diamond

Post by barbaramac »

Hi, just advising that my problem has lessened substantially, Valkrider very kindly spent some time helping me to load the my heritage tree into my project, I now don't have to wonder what I can do this summer, I will be adding manually the 600 people who are missing on this tree, but hey that certainly beats the entire 8198 that could have been lost.
Many thanks everyone who helped along the way.
Without your help Colin I would have given research away.
Thanks ver much, Merry Christmas to all.
Babs.