* Multimedia Conversion options-Export GEDCOM

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
sheepdip11
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Multimedia Conversion options-Export GEDCOM

Post by sheepdip11 »

I am unclear about the correct Multimedia Conversion option to use in the Export GEDCOM (TNG) PlugIn.

There are 323 media files to export (mostly photos in JPEG format). Some of the photos are Part-Frame “Link to Face” and used in the Relatives Diagram, with a Full Frame version of the photo also linked to that individual.

Can these “multiple tags” be retained in TNG? So that the part frame close-up appears in the Relatives Diagram. Thumbnails may have to be later 100 pixel creations: (http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... ion#p57748)
I also understand that the Export to TNG PlugIn now allows Full & Part Frame images to be exported together.
(The TNG settings are now set as per the FH Knowledge Base for TNG - including changing Paths and Folders so all five Media Collection folders are now Media to recognise FH Export).

Although the drop-down list of Multimedia Conversion options is explained in Export Gedcom File ~ Basic Options, I am no wiser. Options ALL~ABS or ALL~LMO seem most likely.

An FHUG discussion last April covered most of my Export-to-TNG tasks and Giles got everything exported ok in the end, so hopefully I can match that.
Regards
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Multimedia Conversion options-Export GEDCOM

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, don't confuse Export Gedcom to TNG V1.6 with its general purpose successor Export Gedcom File V2.3 using (TNG) The Next Generation mode.

Since you have both Part-Frame “Link to Face” and Full Frame versions of the same photo in the same Media tab of an Individual you must take care not to duplicate Media images. I appreciate it is a bit complex but different users have requested different modes of Media depending on how they use the features of FH and TNG and other products.

PART~LMO or PART~ABS are your best bet, and will create a cropped image for each Part-Frame and a full image for each Full Frame. In other words it imitates the Media in FH.

FULL~LMO and FULL~ABS will create a full image for each Part-Frame and each Full Frame so you will get two identical Media where you have both types of Frame for the same photo, although the Plugin should only create one actual image file.

ALL~LMO and ALL_ABS will make matters even worse, because it creates a cropped image and full image for each Part-Frame and full image for each Full Frame. This is intended where only Part Frames are used in FH, but both cropped and full images are wanted in TNG.

Whether you choose PART~LMO or PART~ABS depends on whether you want Local Media Objects and no Media records, or prefer separate Media records as is usual in FH. I believe both should work OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike
Many thanks for explaining the pros & cons of the options - and the swift reply. Just what I needed.
Peter
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike,
Thanks to your advice I now have FH records on a TNG website. If it’s helpful here’s what worked for me.
Using the Knowledge Base advice I transferred FH to Dropbox so it's now accessible on my pc or laptop.
FAMILY HISTORY
• Make sure your files are tidy: FH is quite forgiving but mine were not logical or consistent.
• Ideally media for TNG should be 1Mb maximum.
• I try to keep FH simple (eg little or no customisation) and so far it translates to TNG with no further modifications.
• Check for errors before each Export GEDCOM. In Tools: External File Links, Check & Repair Media Links and Check for unlinked Media will reveal a missing or orphan photo.

Using Mike Tate’s suggestions for Export GEDCOM here are the settings that eventually worked best for me.
Export Character Encoding =UTF8 - so it would show the acute accent in née rather than a foreign squiggle!
Multimedia Conversion = PART-LMO. With this setting TNG recognises all your FH media. eg your close-ups from Link to Face when adding a photo; but will also show the full photo (Thanks Mike for the Tools updates).
TNG has an option to make your first media for an individual the Default on family tree diagrams. If there is no photo I use a document and that appears in the TNG diagram box instead.
• The FH Export folder contains a copy of all your FH media (photos & documents) and the final file in the folder is a copy of your previous GEDCOM. So before you click the Export GEDCOM button you need to Empty Export Folder to make way for your current GEDCOM and all media.
• Read up on all the FHUG postings such as “Export from FH6 and Import to TNG”

TNG
Below are the settings in TNG which I regularly use to import FH6:
Import GEDCOM settings in TNG
Import GEDCOM settings in TNG
IMPORT GEDCOM.jpg (90.9 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Replace: I select the All current data option. This option deletes your previous GEDCOM records on TNG. Therefore I never amend the GEDCOM data on TNG as it would be overwritten. All updates are to FH and then Exported to TNG.
• Tick Import media if present. TNG will set up the links (only) for any new media you have added to FH6.
• I choose to tick Import Latitude & Longtitude because it transfers seamlessly from FH to TNG. However do monitor new Lat/Longt entries as Google’s map location Pin doesn’t always put towns in the expected place!
• You don’t need to know HTML – I don’t. However when I was writing the TNG Home Page entries the Enter key for a New Line didn’t work. A quick look online for basic HTML solved it!
• After you click Import Data button TNG will have set up the media links on your latest Import but not the actual media files you recently added to FH. However the TNG Media folder enables you to upload the most recent media files from your pc (or elsewhere on your web site) to the linked person(s) just as in FH.
• TNG also has a Users Forum. They were very helpful to this novice.
More experienced users will be able to customise TNG, but the basic build is doable for the novice.
Regards
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, thank you for that useful feedback.

However, you should NOT usually need to use Empty Export Folder.
The Plugin will automatically overwrite the Media files and Gedcom file.
Any Media files unchanged since last export are not exported to save time.

The only situation where Empty Export Folder may be worthwhile is when Media are removed from a Project or perhaps to clean up Gedcom files for redundant options/products.

See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:the_faq|> Export Gedcom File ~ Frequently Asked Questions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike
Thanks for identifying that Empty Export Folder isn't usually needed.
Peter