* Import TMG V7 to FH V6 project failure

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
artejay
Family Historian: V6

Import TMG V7 to FH V6 project failure

Post by artejay »

Hi
Am needing to move from TMG V 7 and need some help please.
Have Trial version FH V6 and successfully imported a gedcom file of my TMG main project. This has 13K names but came across OK.
I then tried to import it as a TMG .pjc file with no success. The FH project has the file name but is totally empty. No data at all. What am I doing wrong??
Help please?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import TMG V7 to FH V6 project failure

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I presume you used the File > Project Window > New Project button and selected Import from other family tree file to choose the TMG .pjc file.

TMG must NOT be running at the time.

One possible explanation is that maybe TMG V7 is not supported, and I suspect most TMG migrants have imported from TMG V9.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
artejay

Post by artejay »

I thought it might be a V 7 issue but did not want to have to buy FH and V9 TMG
Will give this some thought as I see those with later TMG versions still have import issues

Thanks
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

TMG had a database format change from v7 to v8.05. FH may not be able to handle anything prior to v8.05, which may be your problem.
You cannot buy TMG easily any more, although you may be able to track down a remaining licence somewhere. However, if you have bought v8 (and not installed it), this may give you a path to migrate from.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In defence of FH, the number of TMG import issues is now quite small (especially since FH V6.1.0), but naturally get prominent 'publicity' in these Forums, because users of those features want them fixed.

Whereas the vast majority of TMG features import OK, but get no 'publicity' from satisfied users.

It is a bit like the 9 o'clock News that seems to be full of doom and gloom, and gives a biassed view of the world, or a customer support service that only receives complaints and rarely praise.

I doubt if any other genealogy product would import from TMG any better.
NigelBrown
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by NigelBrown »

As a long-time TMG user who has nearly but not quite committed to FH, I will say that FH's import is by far the best available as far as I am aware. I have compared it with Legacy and RootsMagic, and a number of lesser products, and FH is streets ahead of the rest.

The import has some shortcomings, and the more complex your use of TMG has been (split memos, formatted text, etc.) the more you will notice them. However, an import from TMG is immediately recognisable and immediately usable. For me, the surprising and pleasing thing was how good it was, and I am using the opportunity to "clean up" my data, and simplify some of it in the process.

Nigel Brown
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
artejay

Post by artejay »

Well have had success!
Downloaded V9 free trial
Exported tree from V7 to V9
Loaded V9 tree into FH
Transferred well
Looking good, now just have to check it and tweak some entries
Big relief all round
Thanks for the help
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I'm glad that worked, my problem was that I could not upgrade from TMG v7 to V8 and had no option but to use Gedcom export.

If FH do not amend for direct import from TMG v7 (unlikely at this stage), it would be worth knowing a repository (or few) to get tmg v9 so import would be easier.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
artejay

Post by artejay »

You could try the trial version 30 day download
It allows you to import your v 7 file and then back it up as a version 9
Then you could transfer it to FH
I did not even bother with V 8

The final TMG9 installers can be downloaded using the links below.

The TMG9 installers can be downloaded here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/in ... lers-v905/

or try this

US Edition

http://whollygenes.swmirror.com/tmg9setup.exe

UK Edition

http://whollygenes.swmirror.com/tmg9uksetup.exe

These are complete stand-alone full installers. You install TMG using the US or UK installer file above and unlock it with your registration information.
chrisking

Post by chrisking »

I am looking to replace TMG with Family Historian and see that the ideal route is via direct import from TMG V9 to FH 6. I am only on V7 myself and the links provided for the trial V9 in this thread no longer works as the page has been taken down. Does anyone know of any other source for the V9 trial, or am I now limited to a GEDCO import to FH?
NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown »

For TMGv9 I suggest you join the TMG Refugees mailing list: tmg-refugees@rootsweb.com - and ask there. Sooner rather than later!
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
jimwillhite

Import TMG V7 to FH V6 project failure

Post by jimwillhite »

I have a number of TMG files in V7. I imported one in my newly purchased FH6.2. It appears to imported okay except for my text notes in the memo box which are very important.
I have tried to find someway to upgrade my TMG7 to TMG9 to see if that would help.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim Willhite
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

I would suggest you get a copy of TMG 9.05 from
http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/in ... lers-v905/

Install that on the 30-day trial basis, import your TMG 7 database (it will convert it to the new format), then point FH 6 at the TMG 9.05 pjc file.

Don F
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I tried the links on that page and they both failed.

I have uploaded the US version which I had to

http://www.fhug.org.uk/programs/tmg9setup.exe

If anyone has the UK version I will upload that of you can get it to me.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added that TMG V9 download to the how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) as a ZIP file.

The UK version could be added too if anyone has it.
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

My apologies - should have tested those old Wholly Genes TMG links before posting them.

Try http://www.rootsusers.org/install.html for a download of both the files (I tested them!)

Don F
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

artejay: the Family Historian direct TMG import should import all versions of TMG. If you have a version which doesn't import with FH6.2, we'd like to check it out so we can find out what the problem is. I appreciate that you've already found a workaround, so may not be interested - but if you were happy to send it anyway (the version that doesn't import), we'd certainly like to see it. If it's not too big to email, by all means email it to support (support@family-historian.co.uk). If you want to send it but it's too big to email or may be, contact support for instructions on uploading it. Thanks.
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

Simon, as noted above there were structural changes to the TMG database in v8.05 which I have seen make import attempts not work for prior versions. If you really want the FH import to work for ALL versions, it's a question of how far back you want to go - there were database format changes in v3.6, 4.01, 5, 6, 7.01, 7.04, 8.05 and probably a few others along the way. I doubt you need to be compatible further back than v7, but I have some file structure documentation going back to v3.6 should you need them.....(!)

Don F
jimwillhite

Post by jimwillhite »

I downloaded Version 9 with Jane's May 13 link. When I started the program if noted it was an expired version but eventually I got the menu and opened the sample file. Soon thereafter I got a Windows 10 message that there was a problem with the program and it shut down. I uninstalled that version. I downloaded the May 13 version from Tatewise on Knowledge Base. When I tried to install it there were 2 different messages that came up about error writing to particular files. I tried to ignore the first and another came up so I cancelled the process. I uninstalled that version. I then tried the Don F May 14 link through Rootsusers.org and had the same problem as I did with Knowledge Base. I am not knowledgeable about the workings of Windows but as far as I can tell I have totally uninstalled and removed anything attached with each of these downloads. Any other helpful ideas? I truly appreciate the ideas shared so far just having no luck. My problem as noted in my May 13 posting is that the memos I wrote to go along with my tag type R3 Note do not import. The tag type is listed under the facts but when I click on it there is nothing in the memo box.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe the downloads are not Windows 10 compatible?
You could try installing in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode.
To do that locate the downloaded .exe file, right-click and choose Properties, then select Compatibility tab and select an earlier Windows version. Then install from within an Administrator account and preferably use Run as Administrator mode.

You may need to repeat the Compatibility setting on the installed .exe file too.

In FH have you tried the Notes tab?
Two options: the Notes tab in Property Box, and the Notes tab in Records Window.
Do either offer any Note Records that contain the missing Memos?
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

TMG 9 is totally Windows 10 compatible - I tested it on Win10 preview about March last year and am still running it on Win10. Some things actually work better on Win10 than Win7.
Without knowing exactly what warnings you got it is difficult to advise, but I suspect they are just the normal warnings Windows throws up in any program install. If you can be more specific I'm sure we can help out.
SimonOrde
Program Designer

Post by SimonOrde »

>> which I have seen make import attempts not work for prior versions

We are not aware of any version of TMG that won't import into FH6.2. Our direct import has been in place for a long time (we didn't just add it when TMG was discontinued) and is pretty thoroughly tested back to version 4 of TMG. If anyone is trying to import into FH from any version of TMG and it isn't working with the latest version of FH, we encourage you to contact support and we will investigate.

>> I have some file structure documentation going back to v3.6

Thank you. We have a lot of TMG documentation, including 3.6.
jimwillhite

Post by jimwillhite »

When all else fails one brings the old laptop with Windows XP out of the closet, casually installs TMG Version 8 (didn't try 9) restores the sqz files from Version 7 and is ready to roll to an import to FH V6. And my memos imported along with all the data. We do thank you for all your input and assistance. I'm a happy importer.