* Gedcom errors

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
kain49member
Family Historian: V5

Gedcom errors

Post by kain49member »

Hello all members,
I've recently bought Family Historian version 5, and converted a The Master Genealogist file to FH5 via the file menu import/export then other programs.
All seemed ok except a few photos being used by more than one person.
Then started viewing Family History User Group forum and found references to convert a TMG file to Gedcom file then use the utlity to check before importing to FH5.
I got 723 errors all the same but for different records.
The error was "PAGE text too long in SOUR for record I5."
I couldn't work out why, so I imported this Gedcom file to FH5 and got some additional/different errors.
I .9095 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE 1902"
I .9096 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC North Weald (Bassett), Epping, Essex"
etc.
On doing a validation check on this FH5 file I then get various messages of person with no link to this family. Although they are married in TMG.
I believe there are a few problems here, but namely the first one "PAGE text too long in SOUR for record I5."
Can anyone help.
Thank you.
kain49member
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Gedcom errors

Post by tatewise »

I am sure the PAGE text in SOUR refers to the Where Within Source field in a Source Citation.
This field is restricted to 248 characters by the GEDCOM Specification, unless a CONCatenate tag is used for longer text.

However, in the experiments I tried, FH imported and retained the long PAGE text without complaint.

The messages of the form:
I .9095 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM)
I believe refer to Individual records with Record Id = 9095 that have illegal GEDCOM fields.

Locate these Individual records and open their Property Box and select the All tab.
You may have to expand data branches by clicking the + signs.
But eventually you will find Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF) that are marked with a star-burst bullet.
That will identify where the illegal GEDCOM DATE and PLAC fields are located.
You will have to re-enter the details into a valid field and then delete the UDF field.
If there are too many to do by hand then either a GEDCOM file edit or a Plugin will be needed.

I need more details about the person with no link to this family to provide any feedback.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
kain49member
Family Historian: V5

Post by kain49member »

Hello tatewise and all,
I have sorted out the error I .9095 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 DATE 1902"
I .9096 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 PLAC North Weald (Bassett), Epping, Essex"
etc. This was a REFERENCE tag in The Master Genealogist which I changed to a NOTE tag, and is no longer an error.
With the errors of person with no link to this family. Although they are married in TMG. In TMG the MARRIAGE tag was not ticked as Prmary. On doing this again the error was cleared.
With the "PAGE text too long in SOUR for record I5." I have come across a message in Knowledge Base which says ignore it. Which I have done, and as yet haven't noticed any problems.
But still a bit discerning to get a meaningless error message. What's the point?
Thank you for your reply.
Kain49member
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I am glad you have resolved all the FH error messages.

The PAGE error message appears to be correctly reporting a text field that exceeds the length defined in the GEDCOM v5.5 specification.

The fhugdownloads:contents:tmg_to_fh_gedcom_converter|> Utility ~ TMG to FH Gedcom Converter is independent from FH and is doing its job faithfully.

FH itself does not appear to honour that length restriction, which could be deemed a bug, and so issues no error messages.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry