* Import from RootsMagic

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
RWells
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Import from RootsMagic

Post by RWells »

I am trying to import a gedcom created by RootsMagic 7 into Fh.

Most of it has gone really well but I am having a problem with what RM calls webtags which is the url for a source. It is an active link that I can click on and go the the web page for the source.

I know the that url's change but I want to get this webtag into Fh. Maybe it is already there and I just can't fine it but I don't think so.

Can anyone help with how I can get this into Fh?

Thanks
Roger
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Import from RootsMagic

Post by tatewise »

Roger, there is advice at how_to:import_from_roots_magic|> Import from RootsMagic (RM) but does not help with your problem.

Have you found most of the Source Citations and associated Media migrated from RM?

Have you used how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF) to investigate UDF ?
That is standard for any imported GEDCOM from another product as they virtually all have custom tags.
Were such tags reported in the Exception Log report?

If the answer to all that is YES, then you should have found where the RM webtags exist in FH.
That assumes that RM does actually export them in its GEDCOM file.

However, FH does not support URL hyperlinks at all well.
The Add Media URL Shortcut Plugin creates a Media record linked to a URL Shortcut file as a useful workaround.

The question is whereabouts in the above journey are you?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry