* Death Certificate - Cause of Death - 3 days means?

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
Dennis
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Death Certificate - Cause of Death - 3 days means?

Post by Dennis »

Something I haven't come across before.

Death Certificate shows Cause of Death as

Cyanosis
from Birth
Ascites
3 days
Certified

What does the "3 days" mean?

Date of death January 1858. Deceased was a 9 year old boy (my Great Great Uncle) who died at his home in London. Informant was his father.

I understand "Certified" at that date means that a doctor had attended and stated that to be the cause of death.

The Causes stated are symptoms not causes but that was typical of the time I believe. Cyanosis makes your skin go blue, Ascites means swelling of belly from water retention. Both can be caused by a wide range of underlying causes.

Someone suggested to me that the "3 days" meants that the doctor said he should be buried within 3 days of death but I've not been able to find any confirmation of that online. If it did mean that the family didn't comply! He was buried 6 days later.

Has anyone else come across a time period in the Causes of death? I've never seen it before.

Thanks
ColinMc
Superstar

Re: Death Certificate - Cause of Death - 3 days means?

Post by ColinMc »

It refers to the duration of the illness

Scotlands People defines it as
Cause of death and duration of final illness - if you find an unknown term check the glossary - medical terms for further information
I'm pretty sure English certificates will be the same
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Agreed. The child has been suffering from Cyanosis since birth and suffering from Ascites for three days.
Lorna
AndrewEllis
Platinum

Post by AndrewEllis »

Although it's been a little time since I wrote one can confirm that it's the duration of the illness. This information is still provided on the Death Certication given to register the death, but it's not usually recorded on the death certificate issued by the registrar nowadays.