Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
Croftian
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Rail maps

Post by Croftian »

Recently discovered this website :

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php#

a resource for people researching Rail or Industry relating to ancestors, the level of detail is excellent.

Ian
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Rail maps

Post by Mark1834 »

Fascinating - I remember the Beeching cuts to the Luton-Welwyn Garden City line in the mid-1960s. My father was a driver with London Transport, and it was a holiday treat to go out with him on the one-man-operated single decker buses, standing at the front, so he could slip me a ticket if an inspector was spotted! I remember the rail replacement service, route 366, had special permission to travel fast and non-stop on the final leg from Wheathampstead to Welwyn Garden City - 55 mph flat out in an old AEC vehicle from the early 1950s! I've just checked, and the route still exists, with the same number!
Mark Draper
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

I posted the link on another forum and someone came back with another source for anyone interested in the development of canals, turnpike roads and railways. It is still work in progress as if you go to the foot of the page at https://www.campop.geog.cam.ac.uk/resea ... transport/ and click Online Atlas there is a beta version of the Atlas with the first 3 chapters.

Brian
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Brian
Very interesting site, with a wealth of info, only trouble is time to take it all in !!
I got sidetracked to the Coastal shipping trade.
:lol:

cheers
Ian
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

Thanks for those links Ian and Brian, very interesting.