Never happened to me before!
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: FMP census and the 1939 register

Post by gwilym'smum »

Just spoken to a friend and she was not offered a discount to renew.
Ann
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by AdrianBruce »

I think that if you're on auto renew, your automatic subs includes the discount - no one offers it to you, you just get it. Having said that, I don't think that I've cross checked recently, partly because I don't think that my current provision is still offered.
Adrian
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Like others I raised the issue of optionally turning off the filmstrip as, when added to the menu strip at the top, I loose almost 30% of the underlying image on my laptop screen. Response from FMP was similar to that received by others:

"I'm afraid there is no option to turn off the the page navigation tool as it wasn’t considered critical by members in the testing we did for the first release.
Since launch, we’ve learned that customers such as yourself would very much like the option to tailor the features to fit, which is understandable. We will continue to monitor its usage and any feedback we receive with a view of implementing any changes in the future.
In the meantime, your feedback and comments have also been passed on.
"
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Martin Tolley
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by Martin Tolley »

I too had similar responses. I have complained more than once. The first reply in my view was frankly dismissive. But the subsequent responses when I used the term "accessibility" repeatedly in the post it seemed to have been taken more seriously. FMP need to be made aware that this is not just a design issue or an aesthetic, but something that could harm their core market.
My renewal was also pending at this time and I took the opportunity to raise the issue with the chat bot on line.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I imagine they will implement the change. I sent my comments via both FB and the Contact page at FMP. Received responses both times - the second had the amended one that acknowledged many people were commenting on the need for that one tweak.

I'm just surprised no-one raised it during testing. Were they all working on desktops with large screens? That's the only thing I can think of. I get that the big companies don't want to look like they're copying each other, but in no way is a strip across the bottom of a screen that can't be hidden a good idea. I can't imagine how much worse it is on a 13" screen (mine is a 17" laptop).
Martin Tolley wrote: 02 Mar 2021 09:42 I too had similar responses. I have complained more than once. The first reply in my view was frankly dismissive. But the subsequent responses when I used the term "accessibility" repeatedly in the post it seemed to have been taken more seriously. FMP need to be made aware that this is not just a design issue or an aesthetic, but something that could harm their core market.
My renewal was also pending at this time and I took the opportunity to raise the issue with the chat bot on line.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

I have complained bitterly about the film strip across the screen but last evening my friend and myself were trying to transcribe, (working on separate screens in our own homes but communicating over the phone) a 1602 will. I was moaning about the images when my friend said " yes but I am using the line at the top of the strip to keep my eye on the line we are working on". Still don't like it but it did have one use ;)
Ann
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

It definitely has its uses - specifically to navigate elsewhere in the record set. I often like the check the first images in any given set as they'll often reveal very specific details about it to include in my citations (Parish registers, census returns etc.) However, it needs to function as it does on Ancestry, where it can be minimized when not needed. It's a simple thing to ask and I've no idea why FMP hasn't yet responded. I can't imagine the programming is that difficult. But then again, I'm not a programmer.

gwilym'smum wrote: 03 Mar 2021 08:17 I have complained bitterly about the film strip across the screen but last evening my friend and myself were trying to transcribe, (working on separate screens in our own homes but communicating over the phone) a 1602 will. I was moaning about the images when my friend said " yes but I am using the line at the top of the strip to keep my eye on the line we are working on". Still don't like it but it did have one use ;)
Ann
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Well I complained and this is the response I received, so it would seem the more complaints the better. They make no mention of the function to select and go to specific page numbers. Which was my original request and no more.

Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The option to turn off the page navigation tool wasn’t considered critical by members in the testing we did for the first release.

Since launch, we’ve learned that customers such as yourself would very much like the option to tailor the features to fit, which is understandable. We will continue to monitor its usage and any feedback we receive with a view of implementing any changes in the future.

davepacey
Famous

Post by davepacey »

David Potter wrote: 03 Mar 2021 20:44 Well I complained and this is the response I received, so it would seem the more complaints the better. They make no mention of the function to select and go to specific page numbers. Which was my original request and no more.

Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The option to turn off the page navigation tool wasn’t considered critical by members in the testing we did for the first release.

Exactly, word for word, the response I got from them

Dave
Dave Pacey - Lincolnshire UK
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

You may like to know that WhoDoYouThinkYouAre magazine are asking for peoples views on the new FMP interface. If enough people complain, perhaps wdytya will carry enough weight to persuade FMP to do something about it.
Most of the comments I’ve seen so far have been negative :lol:
If you want to add your comment, both for and against, visit their facebook page.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'd best go and register the fact that I like the new interface. The ability to drag the image up and down behind the 'strip' means I don't lose the ability to view any of it, and the extra navigation possibilities are very welcome.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My impression is that most users like the navigation tools in general but want the option to switch them on and off.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I'm happy with the new UI - except I really, really want to be able to switch that filmstrip on and off.

A few of the filmstrip linked navigations are odd but I feel certain that's the way FMP have linked images in the first place.
Adrian
Martin Tolley
Diamond

Post by Martin Tolley »

Just as (or even more?) irritating when using this new UI, I found that when you examine an image and resize it to be readable, if you move forward or backwards, the next image shoots back to the "default" size and you have to adjust all over again. Grrrrr,
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 10 Mar 2021 15:39 My impression is that most users like the navigation tools in general but want the option to switch them on and off.
We all have different preferences. To me, turning them on and off is a waste of time, but other's mileage will vary.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 10 Mar 2021 16:25... We all have different preferences. To me, turning them on and off is a waste of time, but other's mileage will vary.
As a general rule, I'd tend to agree - but working on my laptop, the filmstrip covers a big percentage of the payload area. Someone suggested that the testers - who didn't bring this request up - might have been using bigger screens. That may depend on whether they were on-site testers or at-home, I guess. Either way, the usability testing appears to have been deficient to some degree.
Adrian
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Adrian, I'd agree about the testing -- or possibly they discounted negative views (it's been known to happen).
Martin Tolley
Diamond

Post by Martin Tolley »

Well. I've just been using this on my Samsung Tablet - 5 1/2 in x 9 in - and in portrait mode (!) it works pretty well - the film strip is well out of the way, and the size can go a long ways up for clearer reading without stuff getting too much in the way. If i'd been a tester with this format I'd have said it was OK.
Attachments
FMP-tablet-view.jpg
FMP-tablet-view.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
Martin Tolley
Diamond

Post by Martin Tolley »

As of this morning there seems to be a new button "Close all pages" which removes the filmstrip. BUT if you move forward or back to the next image, it defaults to the filmstrip on mode, and it also loses any changes you may have made wrt re-sizing changing colour or contrast etc. and you have to re-do the changes. Not perfect but much better
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I have to say well done FMP for listening and acting upon customer feedback.

Regarding Martin's comment about turning his tablet to portrait and it is fine, for those of us who use laptops and/or larger independent screens they are landscape so such an option is not practicable. This demonstrates why testing should be done in a defined manner with all common means of use included. I work on railway simulations and testing is uncontrolled and people who generously give up time volunteering to test, seem to focus on specific aspects that interest them and consequently bugs do get missed. I think the same was with FH7 testing and may have been with FMP.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I just noticed this thread hasn't been updated to reflect the fact we can now minimize the film strip at the bottom of the image using the All Pages button. Within a short time (relatively), FMP responded to user concerns and complaints ... can't complain too much about that :D
FMP_AllPages-snip.png
FMP_AllPages-snip.png (98.37 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
and
FMP_AllPages-snip2.png
FMP_AllPages-snip2.png (451.23 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford