* 1939 Register

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

1939 Register

Post by ColinMc »

Does anyone have any idea when the redacting of the living records was done (and from other discussions, I understand it may even have been different for Ancestry & FMP).

Secondly is the redacting updated at all, and if so when?
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: 1939 Register

Post by Valkrider »

Colin

I don't know about a difference between the two. Redaction was done before the Register was made public on FMP. It is updated and certainly I have seen entries in the weekly email from FMP when additional records are un-redacted (if that is a word). I have also done searches on different dates when more records are available on a given page, I have also found 2 versions of pages with different redacted entries on FMP on the same day.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The redaction was done when the register was first digitised.

It is updated regularly (to open records for people born more than 100 years or more). It is also possible to send proof of death for an individual whose record is closed (typically a copy of a death certificate, although I have used a copy of a probate record before now) to get the record opened.

FMP are responsible on behalf of TNA for redacting or unredacting records; Ancestry must comply with whatever FMP have done.

Were you willing to spend the exorbitant sum needed to get copies of the information in the register pre-digitisation, they didn't always get the redaction right so I have transcripts of entries for individuals who are now redacted.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I believe it is more complicated than that. The Register was used as the basis for NHS registration and it seems that the original belongs to the NHS archive. An overseas academic contact of mine was trying to trace a relative, who died in the war and was unable to read her married name which was cut off in the image. But as far as I know the NA were unable to provide the missing name. Nor give her access to the original document as it still contains people who are living.
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

I believe that you can request the opening of a closed record through the National Archives if you are a close relative of the person who's record is redacted, on payment of a fee and production of required supporting evidence.

FMP say that they also offer the same service free to subscribers on submission of the same supporting evidence. However I submitted the required evidence to FMP requesting that my uncle's record be opened last March. I was informed that there would be delays due to Covid and so far the record is still closed.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks for the feedback.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

It depends when Ancestry or FMP update their collections. If you find that one is redacted try the other. From my own research FMP update more frequently than Ancestry. I use an example in my talk of a family with the wife visible but not so on the other.
Ann
Stay safe
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

This is the description of the register on the National Archives site. Sections 9 and 10 relate to closed records and requesting information from them.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hel ... -register/
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

That helps a lot with my specific original question. Thanks.

Find My Past
Furthermore, the records of individuals born 100 years ago (according to the date of birth shown in the Register) are opened on a regular basis.
Ancestry
The version of the 1939 Register on Ancestry.co.uk will be updated annually to show the records that have been opened during the past year.
So presumably 1920 births will be in the process of being opened - or already done.

However although it does not say so specifically, this looks like it does not apply to known deaths (although you can apply for individual ones to be opened).
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

ColinMc wrote: 18 Jan 2021 10:34 However although it does not say so specifically, this looks like it does not apply to known deaths (although you can apply for individual ones to be opened).
In the entry I refer to above, re submitting a request to open records, entries for my mother who died in 1999, one uncle who died in 1992 and my grandmother, who died in 1959 are all open. The record that I assume relates to my other uncle, who died in 2010 is still closed, but so also is the record that I assume is for my grandfather, who died in 1974.

I applied to request that both records were opened last March via FMP, who stated at the time that they would deal with the National Archives on subscribers' behalf, without charge. I'm still waiting for it to be opened.

At the time, FMP displayed a button next to 1939 register record transcriptions, stating "Request a record is opened" or similar. I see that they have now changed that button to say "Request Record", the link for which relates to requesting information from the register about yourself or on behalf of another living person who has authorised you to act for them. There is a further link buried at the bottom of that page which now relates to an FOI request for a transcription of information in a closed record, rather than the opening a closed record as previously advertised.

Edit: For information from a closed record for a deceased individual, they required a copy of the death certificate, plus proof of your relationship to the individual, at the time I submitted my request. It seems that they will now offer a transcription of a closed record for any deceased person. They still require a copy of the individual's death certificate, but proof of the applicant's relationship to that person is no longer mentioned.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ColinMc wrote: 18 Jan 2021 10:34... So presumably 1920 births will be in the process of being opened - or already done ...
Bear in mind that they can only work from the birth date given on the Register, so if that's wrong... And the auto opening at 100 will, I'm certain, be driven by the transcribed value so if that got out of step with the page, or was badly transcribed, anyone may have a problem.
Adrian
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

The opening of a closed record was not my problem. It was the cropping of the image which left out part of the surname note on the opposite page.