* Deceased Online Records.

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Deceased Online Records.

Post by AndyC » 15 Mar 2020 19:40

There seems to be useful death and burial/cremation information on deceased online website. I do not want to subscribe to this site for the certificactes. I was wondering what the records it is using are so that I can create a FH source. The website says 'The Burial Register Scan or Cremation Register Scan option shows a scan of the original page in the burial or cremation register', but what is this register?

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Deceased Online Records.

Post by tatewise » 15 Mar 2020 20:00

Andy, the website https://www.deceasedonline.com/ gets its details from Church Parish Registers and similar local authority registers for burials and cremations.

They are completely separate from the formal GRO Death Certificates that contain more details of who died, their age, place of death, the informant, etc.

If you go to the coverage page it lists the regions that have supplied details.
Click on the region name and it explains the derivation of the records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 16 Mar 2020 06:58

A slight correction -- Deceased Online does not use Parish Registers.

Mark1834
Famous

Post by Mark1834 » 16 Mar 2020 13:18

I find the free details (full name, date and place of burial) useful for confirming burial details, particularly if you already have at least an approximate death date from other sources (GRO index/certificate, probate etc). Subscribing will give you the original cemetery register, which will usually have age at burial, address, and the actual grave location.

I create an individual source where I have the image, but have a lumped source for free details, similar to the GRO indexes.
Mark Draper