* National Library of Scotland Map Images

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

National Library of Scotland Map Images

Post by tatewise »

I have recently discovered that the National Library of Scotland has a Map Images section that offers not only world wide maps, but also allows maps of the same place with different dates to be viewed overlaid or side by side to show how areas have changed over time.

I have added cross-references to the research:useful_research_web_sites#world_wide|> Useful Research Web Sites > World Wide and also to the fhugdownloads:contents:service_national_library_of_scotland|> Downloads and Links > Service ~ National Library of Scotland.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dewilkinson
Superstar

Re: National Library of Scotland Map Images

Post by dewilkinson »

Mike,

Just had a look at this, a very helpful resource. Another free map service I use all the time is the OS old map service which can be found at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/. When you want to change places just click on the blue Old-Maps.co.uk on top left.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Just in case you didn't realise .... this has been available for a few years. It is a great resource and I've used it a lot.
Anne
ColinT54
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by ColinT54 »

Mike

A further site you may wish to consider adding to the list of 'Useful Research Web Sites' is https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/. This free site contains searchable transcriptions and images of various tax records and Ordnance Survey Name books. There are links to the National Library of Scotland Maps as well as images from the places.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

And if you have Welsh Ancestry the List of Historic Place Names of Wales is really useful.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added all your suggestions to research:useful_research_web_sites|> Useful Research Web Sites.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry