* Workhouses and Census's

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Workhouses and Census's

Post by jsphillips »

I have found although I have often the street and place location of a workhouse I have been unable to find it in the Census's. I would have thought by now that piece numbers &/or folio numbers per census & workhouse would be available.
If anyone could help with Norwich Census's for 1861 to 1891 for the Workhouses in the area with piece numbers and or folios.
Thanking for any help
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Workhouses and Census's

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm assuming you've checked if there's anything helpful on http://www.workhouses.org.uk/records/census.shtml ?

In particular, if you have access to Ancestry the search tip of including "Norwich workhouse" in the search seems to work.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since you have the street, have you tried the Census Address search that is available in FMP and probably Ancestry too?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Workhouses and other institutions such as large schools or mental hospitals often had a schedule of their own with separate headings and a separate cover page. For this reason they may not show up on the street where you know they are situated. It can be hard to search for people too, because they can often be listed with just initials instead of their full name.
Anne
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Not sure if you have had a look at the website workhouses.org.uk as suggested earlier but there is a section on the workhouses in Norwich. Even better, there is a list of inmates for 1881 at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Norwich/No ... ml#Inmates

EDIT: Have just found the 1861 census for the Norwich Workhouse that starts at RG9/1220/162. Unfortunately no names of inmates are given, just their initials.

1871 Census RG10/1822/108 with full names
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I found the 1911 census for one workhouse right at the end of the collection rather than in address order. IIRC this was for Chichester so it may be worth checking for yours there.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you all for your help.
I have tried all the initials but none of it stacks up
the name was Robert Corrick ie RC. There is a RC but this one was not correct.
I have looked at the large Site before on Workhouses but as said the streets do not relate
What is wanted is for one person to start at at 1841 and work through to 1911 with research to find all workhouses for all regions and then to quote say RG 12 piece xxxx page(s) xxxx. A task no one would gladly start.
I am fed up with transcribers not reading correctly from the original data in many cases I can read clearly the name , the original data collectors collected the data as sound ie Crick, Currick Currich Carrick Coric Currish and more etc. instead of Corrick. How nice it would be to have used only Capital letters and not hanwriting.
If we have a 1921 Census lets not have hand writing and the data collector must ask for the household to check spellings etc.
In may occasions I have found a whole family dissapears from one Census but comes back late even after checking the whole UK and various spellings.
Once again for all the help and suggestions.