* 2nd project

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

2nd project

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
Sorry I know everyone is busy at this time of year but hopefully the answers will be yes or no.
I acknowledge that received advice is to have one project, which I do for my family as my root is our son, so both mine and my husbands family are together. However I am trying to help my cousin find her paternal line, her father was given away in 1917. Quite some time ago I started a new project for Susan just entering facts of our research for her dad's adoptive parents.( I didn't want unrelated families mixed up with my files. ) I haven't added any of Sue's maternal line (our joint line) I want to keep it simple. Recently Sue has taken a DNA test and we have potentially found her dad's mother's line. I have added the research facts but no sources or images.
My first question is:- if I add a source record in the proper way (via the yellow scroll) and an image, will those sources and media be stored in my main project file (ie not immediately obvious) or will they have a source file and a media file for this particular project.? If they go into my main project source and media file then I will add the source information in the individual fact note field and not bother with images.
Second question:- if I export this file to Sue as a Gedcom now, then at a later date add information and wish to send her that, presumably again by Gedcom, will the information be doubled in her file or will it just extract the extra information?
Basically I want to use this project as a place to keep my research notes as opposed to all the pile of pieces of paper with the information stored on them!
Very best season's greetings
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: 2nd project

Post by Jane »

If you add all the facts and sources to Susan's project they will not appear in your Project. Each project is completely separate from each other. That is how professional researchers use it to research lots of separate people.

You don't say what program she is using, but if she also has FH you can simply send her a copy of the Project to open.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are a few small caveats to Jane's advice.

Q1
Make sure you keep all Media files within the Project in its Media sub-folder (the recommended default).
Otherwise they won't export with the Project and could get mixed up with other Media files.
Such Media files are NOT included with an exported GEDCOM file.

If you customise things, such as a custom DNA Fact or custom Diagrams or Reports then they affect all Projects.
Such customisations are NOT exported with the GEDCOM file.

Q2
What happens to the exports you send to Sue depends on what genealogy package she is using.
If it is FH V6 then send a Project Backup rather than just the GEDCOM file so the Media, etc, are included.
Also Export any customisations into the Public sub-folder, so she can Import them.
FH has a File > Merge/Compare File feature to merge new data with existing data.

If it is NOT FH then tell us what it is, and we can advise accordingly.
The export process may need to be different, and merging new with old may not be supported.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Dear Mike and Jane
Thank you so much for clarifying the situation. Sue is in the process of sorting a program so not sure yet she might just use a free one like Legacy as I am the person who does all the research but I thought it would be helpful if she had a program to keep all the research in order as we seem to be getting piles of paper and facts are getting lost.
Once again many thanks and look forward to new research in the new year.

Re my post a few weeks ago regarding telling U3A group about family history programs I was able to put forward all the points which had been suggested and I sang the praises of FH and of course the forum and AS. Everyone seemed impressed.
All the best Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Legacy is not a bad choice as it supports Media and Fact Witnesses similar to FH.

BUT you won't be able to simply send the GEDCOM file or a Project Backup.
Legacy does NOT support Unicode UTF-16 or UTF-8 so accented characters are not preserved.
Use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to send GEDCOM and Media files in Legacy compatible format.
I would have to check to see if it has a Merge facility.

OR, to make life so much simpler, give her a Christmas gift of FH :D :D
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi Mike
Thank you for your information.
Wish I could afford to give her FH! ;) It is only since I gave her the DNA test I won for star letter in WDYtYA magazine that she has the family history bug but it is probably just confined to her dad's side as I have done most of her Mum's side, our common branch. Of course there is always more to do.
Hope you have a lovely time
Very best wishes
Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Ann,
I have checked Legacy V9 and it does have Merge features.
The Merge Duplicates option is available in the free version, and may be all that is needed.
The Compare Two Files option to find duplicates is NOT available in the free version.

Maybe one tactic is to persuade Sue to try the FH free 30-day trial version.
Then you can use Project Backups and explain to her how to use the FH features, etc.
And of course she can use these FHUG Forums.

At the same time she could try the Legacy V9 free version with exported GEDCOM & Media from you.
You could also install Legacy V9 to investigate for example how well the GEDCOM & Media import.
But Sue would have to learn how to use the Legacy features largely on her own.

At the end of the month she can then decide to buy FH or use Legacy for free.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I recently had a look on Calico Pie download site and it seemed that one could still download a read only copy of fh - Just to read data from a relative. Is this not so?
It may be an earlier version of fh than version 6.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is a 10 year old V3 and incompatible with V6 in many ways.
It would be just as difficult to work with as Legacy.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thanks Mike - That was not what I hoped.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Evelyn, you are welcome to download and install it, as it installs and runs separately from FH V6.
However, do NOT open any important Projects in FH V3.
It does NOT recognise the default Unicode UTF-16 GEDCOM format used by FH V6.
So to migrate to FH V3 you must export in UTF-8 or ANSI.
It does NOT support Place records so they will get discarded on import to FH V3.
It does NOT support Fact Witnesses so they are treated as UDF.
So try using the Export Gedcom File Plugin in (FH5) Family Historian 5 mode which converts those features.
It does NOT have a Focus Window nor a Map Window and many other recent features are missing.
It does NOT support Plugins at all.
It does not support the recent functions & codes in Tools > Fact Type definitions for Narrative Reports.
In fact most of that is true for any versions earlier than FH V6 especially those earlier than FH V5.
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi Mike
Sorry didn't get back after your 24th post been away for Christmas. Thank you for the extra information. Will have a serious talk with Sue when all the festivities have died down. All the best for the new year
Ann