* 1939 Register - Handwriting Help Please

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

1939 Register - Handwriting Help Please

Post by rfj1001 »

The name on the attached image is transcribed as Perkins J Harrison (fmp) and Dennis J Harrison (ancestry). The enumerator's writing is very indistinct so that, I'm sure, explains that discrepancy.

It is almost certain that the "J" refers to the person on the line above. Either way I can find no other record of a Perkins or a Dennis Harrison even using very liberal use of wild cards and doing a broad search of dob's based on the surname and Chorley as a Reg District.

Does anyone have any ideas on who the person might be?

For those with fmp or ancestry subscriptions, the links are :

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record? ... 32H/002/19
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/s ... h=44266634

Thanks in advance.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
Martin Tolley
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Re: 1939 Register - Handwriting Help Please

Post by Martin Tolley »

Looks like Dennis Harrison to me. On the preceding page there's a Patrick, and the P formation is not like this example. And on the same page someone is listed as a Dairy farmer, and the letter formation looks very similar.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

By inspecting other capital D in such as Domestic Duties and Dairy, versus capital P in Park Gate and Privately and Poultry, I would say it was Dennis rather than Perkins.

All other alterations are contained within the same row, so I suspect the J. is his middle initial.

A search for Dennis Harrison born in 1926 in Lancashire offers a matching Q3 entry:
West Derby, Lancashire Vol 8B Page 1078 Mother O'Brien
and West Derby is less than 30 miles south-west of Chorley.

It is not obvious how those four Harrison's are related, if at all?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't know if this helps but think I have found Martha Mary J Harrison (so the M.J. does belong to line above).
Birth Reg Martha Mary J Harrison 1904 Q3 Chorley 8E 445 Mother Margerison that links to preceding 1939 Register entries.
Marriage Martha M J Harrison 1955 Q3 Chorley 10C 44 to George Sutcliffe hence Sutcliffe alteration 11-4-61 in 1939 Register.
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks Mike/Martin for your thoughts and suggestions,

In the complete household return for the Harrisons I can match James (b1870) and Martha Sutcliffe (Harrison) (b1904) to earlier censuses and into my wider family tree; they are father and daughter with Martha having several siblings. Martha is actually Martha MJ Harrison (which is why I suspect the J refers not to Dennis or Perkins but to Emily - the line above).

For the same reasons as you, I can't think that Perkins is a correct transcription and should really be put to one side.

Emily and Dennis are conundrums as this is their first (and last) appearance in any record.

I've researched at all the Harrison brothers that she could have married and, so far, they are either all married to someone else or I can't find a match (including o'Brien I'm afraid). I also checked in case she never married but drew a blank

So I've got no fit for her yet into my Harrison line and, of course, Dennis is also a conundrum as there's no obvious birth record other than the O'Brien West Derby entry that I can't yet match back into.

Another problem to solve on another day :)?

/Mike/ Just seen your last post on Martha MJ Harrison - I think my earlier paras cover this. She actually was the person who led me to the wider Harrison family group. It gets even more complex - the Margerisons who live next door in the 1939 census are also very close relatives!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think I have found Emily Harrison nee Thomas (note that she is Married so Harrison is her married surname).

You refer to the 1911 Census for Hoghton Bottoms Hoghton Preston, Hoghton, Lancashire, England that lists:
James Harrison Head born 1870
Martha M J Harrison Dau born 1905
Albert Harrison Son born 1900

Albert Harrison married Emily Thomas in Q1 1926 Chorley 8E 621.
Emily Thomas birth registered Q4 1899 Warrington 8C 177 which is only about 25 miles south of Chorley.

Interestingly, Hoghton appears on the next page of the 1939 Register and is just a few miles north-north-west of Chorley.

So that just leaves Dennis to discover!
He was born Aug 1926, so likely son of Albert & Emily married early 1926, and is listed after his mother in 1939 Register.
Found him!!!!
James D Harrison birth registered Q3 1926 Chorley 8E 569 mother Thomas and named after his grandfather.
So the J does belong to him, but he became known by his middle name Dennis.
BTW: I searched with first name just D, birth year 1926 in Chorley with mother maiden name Thomas.

Albert is not listed with his wife Emily in Chorley in 1939 Register.
I suspect he is on his own at 13 Charles Street , Manchester C.B., Lancashire.
Albert Harrison 06 Feb 1900 Male Colliery Onsetter Above (Heavy Worker) Married
His birth was registered Q2 1900 in Chorley.
The other Albert Harrison entries in 1939 Register either don't match birth or appear to be listed with a wife.

I love a good search challenge :D
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

If he is on the 1939 register he must have died. A quick search on Family Search reveals

James Dennis Harrison, Death Registration Oct-Nov-Dec 1986, Blackburn, Birth date 26 Aug 1926, vol. 40, p 105

Which is reasonable evidence that this is the person mentioned in the 1939 Register.

David

[ Mike Tate EDIT: That fits with what I found for his birth details. ]
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you ask both FMP and Ancestry to alter the transcription for Dennis to be J. Dennis Harrison and cite the Death Registration found by David that gives the full name and matching DoB.
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Done