* What job? Help, please!

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
themoudie
Famous
Family Historian: V7

What job? Help, please!

Post by themoudie »

Please may I ask if anybody can give a sensible interpretation for the job/occupation that Janet Sinclair, aged 22, is employed as in this entry to the 1891 Census?

It appears to be "Plahoner's Shop Keeper", but what or who a "Plahoner" was in 1891 Edinburgh, I do not have a clue! I have underlined the mysterious word with a red line for clarity, on the attached image.

Thank you for your time, interest and assistance.

My regards, Bill
Attachments
Can you identify the underlined word that appears to read "Plahoner's", please?
Can you identify the underlined word that appears to read "Plahoner's", please?
1891_Jean_Sinclair_Census_Janet_Job_query.jpg (255.05 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: What job? Help, please!

Post by LornaCraig »

I'd like to think it was 'Stationers' but that first letter just doesn't look like an 'S'!
Lorna
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

I think Lorna is right. There is so much variation in the way this census collector writes his P & S that it could well be an S. And given her mother is a 'Printer's wife' a job as a Stationery shop-keeper sort of connects to the family business....

Don
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I read that as Stationers before seeing other two replies. The S looks vaguely corrected and the t lack bars.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Without a doubt Stationer’s. Not every enumerator took the time and effort to make their writing legible, so dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s wasn’t a priority. Just look at Annuitant, a few lines above, with an identical t. This, to me, is quite legible under the circumstances :D
I’ve certainly seen a lot worse.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Thank you Lorna, Don, David and Mike, I understand your reasoning behind the suggestion of the word being "Stationer's" and will use this interpretation.

As an aside, Don's interpretation of Janet's Mother's (Jean) occupation is incorrect. Jean's husband was a "Painter (Master)" or "Housepainter - Master" in other Census entries and his Death Register entry. He does not appear in this 1891 Census entry, as he is working in Glasgow at the time. The adage "Get on your bike!" held true in late Victorian Scotland.

Reminder to self, more handwriting practise so that mine isn't as illegible as that enumerators!

Good health and my regards, Bill