* Probate Records

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
Baboon281
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Probate Records

Post by Baboon281 »

I have obtained probate records from the website "https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills". On more recent deaths, the record indicates the deceased name, address, date of death, probate area and value. Additionally there is a number afterwards such as "79250442 1F". On older probate records the name of the executors is also recorded though on these newer ones there are no names. Can anyone explain what this number means and how I would establish who the executor(s) are please.
Thanks for the help.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Probate Records

Post by Jane »

I suspect you will need to purchase a copy of the Will to see the details.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I believe the 'reference number' you mention is the Folio Number allocated by the Court Service when a request is made for Probate. It is only likely to be of use to the Court Service in finding the documentation.

As far as greater detail is concerned, you would have to purchase a copy of the Probate documents you are interested in to find more information as details of the Executors are no longer published. No doubt such personal details are no longer openly published for consistency with current privacy regulations as they mostly relate to living individuals; and such details are more likely to be used these days for improper purposes by people who scan public lists simply to accumulate personal information and contact data for sales/scamming purposes. It's probably far less likely that anyone undertaking such searches would go to the expense of paying for copy documentation unless they have a genuine interest!
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Trying to interpret the numbers, the first two digits appear to be the year of probate or administration, and from comparing entries, the next two digits might indicate which probate office was involved - though you get that from the text anyway.

As has already been said, you'd probably need to get a copy of the probate file to find out who the executors were. Sometimes wills and probate were reported in local newspapers, so that might be worth checking first if you can access them.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Thanks for the advice.