* Foster Care

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
ThorpeDave
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Foster Care

Post by ThorpeDave »

I am wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction

I was told today - by my sister - that, as a child, I was placed in foster care, for about 6 months, while my mum had a hysterectomy and recovered. I was told that this was in Nottingham so would be between 1957 and 1962.

My sister tells me that she went to live with her grandparents in Leicester but my mum's mother was working full time and, I would have been pre-school, so she would not have been able to care for me.

I have no recollection of this, but I have very little recollection about my childhood anyway - possibly blocked it out for reasons I won't go into!

While it is irrelevant who I was in foster care with, I would like to verify that this is true and when it was.

Sadly, my mum passed away in April of this year. If I had known about being fostered, she would have told me, but she never volunteered much.

Is there a way of finding out if this is true?

Regards

Dave
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Foster Care

Post by mjashby »

Dave,

From the information you've mentioned, I would suggest contacting the Nottinghamshire County Council Fostering Service to find out what information is likely to be available; and how to gain access to any information about whether you were "in care". An e-mail enquiry should elicit what they are able to tell you, and what information they would need from you before they can release that information - No doubt some proof of identity and what you can tell them about the timing/circumstances.

https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/care ... nghamshire

Good luck with your search.

Mervyn
ThorpeDave
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Foster Care

Post by ThorpeDave »

Thank you very much 😊