* Invitation to a census

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Invitation to a census

Post by LornaCraig »

I was amused to receive a card with the mail today about the forthcoming UK census.

It says "You must complete the census by law"
followed by "Look out for your invitation pack in the post."

Invitation?
I'm glad most of my ancestors accepted the invitation.
Lorna
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Invitation to a census

Post by NickWalker »

I think we've all become so paranoid about keeping our data protected, not trusting our government, etc. that there will be a lot of people who don't fill this in or put in false information. I'd guess a much higher number than in the past.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I'm sure you're right. But an "invitation" to obey the law is hardly likely to help!
Lorna
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Haha! We noticed that too. More an instruction than an invitation I think!
Anne
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
The adverts don't give the impression that it is a legal requirement to fill in the form.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

NickWalker wrote: 22 Feb 2021 14:46 I think we've all become so paranoid about keeping our data protected, not trusting our government, etc. that there will be a lot of people who don't fill this in or put in false information. I'd guess a much higher number than in the past.
I helped out during the 2011 census, and to be honest I found very very few who didn’t/ wouldn’t fill it in. I think the threat of prosecution hanging over their head was enough to persuade most people with similar thoughts :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Hmmm! Pardon the cynicism, but it seems to me that there's a significant difference between being required "by law" to fill in a Census Form, which the vast majority of people will comply with; and expecting them to provide wholly accurate information. I'm sure most, if not all, of us must have come across many Census forms which contain significant inaccuracies, if not deliberate lies. In the end the usefulness of the Census data to government, which is its primary purpose, is dependent on most people seeing the underlying purpose of the exercise and therefore providing 'good quality' information which isn't significantly distorted by examples of false data.

Was there really a religion named "Jedi" in 2011? It was apparently quite popular ;)

Mervyn
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I also worked on the 2011 Census, the take up rate is very high. Providing false information or failing to complete the Census rusults in, if prosecuted, a criminal record and a fine. The 'invitation' is whether to complete online (preferred) or to apply for the paper forms.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

It depends what you call very high. This article suggests that 6.1% of the population were missed by the 2011 census which would be about 3.8 million people. This article suggests the numbers prosecuted for non completion were tiny. There will also be a significant number of people who entered inaccurate data.

Over the last 10 years people have definitely become much more aware of data protection, online privacy, etc. and may well be much more reluctant to type in their personal data. Websites warn us about cookies, we are far more aware of how companies like Facebook and Google use our data for advertising, etc. so I would expect more people to not enter accurate data or not complete the census. It also depends on how well advertised this is and how much the historical importance and the privacy aspects are promoted.

As a family historian I will of course be filling in the census with complete accuracy and wondering whether any of my descendants will be reading through the data in 100 years time.
Nick Walker

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Nick, our descendants (well, not mine, unless cloning technology advances considerably in the next 10 years) will tap their left forehead to activate the embedded intfasearcher, then perform an interpretive dance to specify the search parameters, and tap their right forehead to add the results to their magic family tree.

Which will be at least as accurate as current <specify your hated online tree option> here.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

:)

I used to think there would be so much data about us compared to the past because of all the databases we're on, but the data protection rules, etc. mean that actually most data is deleted. For example, I can go back and look at the admissions registers for schools that my grandparents and parents attended and I expect even my data is in an archive somewhere. But most schools now will be expected to delete data about pupils within a few years of them leaving.
Nick Walker

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

... and in all seriousness, privacy concerns are part of the reason why most* countries don't have surviving censuses for their genealogists to work with.

* I have no quantification nor citation (generic or templated ;) ) for saying "most" but my impression is that's true.
Adrian
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 23 Feb 2021 14:14 unless cloning technology advances considerably in the next 10 years
Now that will be a challenge for Gedcom. Is a clone a descendant? or a twin?
Lorna
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We only have to look at the different attitudes to online access to Civil Registration data across the five main national authorities in the British Isles to see how variable interpretation of privacy and data protection is. Data protection has come a long way - I remember about 15 years ago I worked as a volunteer co-ordinating some work for a national sports charity. About every six months, they would e-mail me a complete data dump of the national membership - about 40,000 names and addresses - as a simple zipped CSV file without even basic password protection, so we could arrange local mailings. Slightly dubious even then, but a very large fine today.

I will be 100% honest with the Census, as I am with other "official" sites, but be honest - who these days would use completely accurate personal details for sites where it "doesn't matter"...?
Mark Draper
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes when I record the username and password for a website in my password vault software I also record the made-up date of birth, first pet's name, place of birth, mother's maiden name, etc. that I've invented if asked for that kind of information which is also different for every site.
Nick Walker

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

NickWalker wrote: 23 Feb 2021 16:26 first pet's name
I pity future researchers who will find that my first pet had several zillion names and none of them was Sally...
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

They'll assume your real name was Noah.
Naamah, surely. Or possibly Emzara.

More research needed -- and primary contemporary sources are very hard to come by.

Whoops... I seem to have edited Nick's post rather than my reply. Luckily I'd quoted him.
Nick Walker

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Mark1834 wrote: 23 Feb 2021 15:59... Data protection has come a long way. ...
Yes, I remember standing in front of the very loud, impact printer as it ran off BR's payslips on a Tuesday night - we were honoured guests because we were looking after the implementation of our system, so "Come and look at this", they said. They did make sure we didn't linger but to be honest - payslips of people you don't know are fairly boring, so we didn't want to linger, and we did know that we shouldn't say anything...
Adrian
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
If you look at the history of the census the worry over "data protection" (wasn't called that then) has always been an objection to there being a census. this is why there wasn't one until 1801 and why there nearly wasn't one in 1951.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families