* Quick Screen Recorder - Free

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Simonides
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Quick Screen Recorder - Free

Post by Simonides »

I'm impressed by Quick Screen Recorder which saves audio and video from your screen as an avi file. Useful for recording all those informative videos to watch later!!! https://github.com/ModuleArt/

A nice feature is that it supports two screens, so you can select which screen to record from and specify exactly what you want to record.

Remember to select the input for Audio Options each time, else your recording will lack sound.

Something I'd love to see is in option to preset the length of the recording so it stops at the predetermined time. As it stands, you need to stop the recording manually, otherwise it seems to do what's needed!

I'd love to know if anyone has found a screen recording program that can stops after a predetermined time!
trevorrix
Famous

Re: Quick Screen Recorder - Free

Post by trevorrix »

An alternative is to use Windows key + G which comes free with Windows 10.
Trevor Rix
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Trevor,

What app or accessory is this supposed to start up? Windows key + G doesn't do anything on my PC and I am on Windows 10 1909.

Bill
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

That one's new to me as well. More details at https://youtu.be/OfPbr1mRDuo or https://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/90817 ... reen-video

One thing I noticed about Quick Screen Recorder that I noticed is that it makes massive video files, so if you plan on keeping them you may want to look for something that makes more compact video files. In my experience, Techsmith Snagit and Applian Replay Video Capture do a good job, but at a price.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Windows 10 the Game Bar is a free built-in feature with screen video capture tools.
See How to activate and configure the Windows 10 Game Bar for details, which includes how to enable it in Settings > Gaming where it may have been switched off.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

thanks Mike!
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks Mike,

No wonder... I don't use the game bar as I don't use my computer for playing games. I have it turned off.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't play video games either, but the Game Bar has handy video & static screen capture tools.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

I've found a better alternative - it's OBS Studio - free and open source from https://obsproject.com

Tools | Output Timer lets you define the duration of the recording so you can stop recording at the end of the video and it makes nice compact .mkv video files to watch later on your PC (I use VLC Media Player for playback) or your TV.