* FT Analyzer is amazing

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

FT Analyzer is amazing

Post by Peter_H_Williams »

I just want to post a 'thank you' to Alexander Bissett the developer of FT Analyzer. It is the most remarkably useful "add-on" to FH and it's free. It aids in checking omissions in Census data and disciplines the need for auditing and correction.

It's now available in the Microsoft Store https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9P ... ocid=badge

My wife has been able to install the latest update on her PC and I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced my problem. I get an error every time I try. I have checked that I have all the latest Windows 10 updates and run sfc /SCANNOW after first checking my Windows 10 Image with DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Still though Windows 10 generates an Error when downloading
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FT Analyzer is amazing

Post by tatewise »

I had no problem installing FT Analyzer in Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store or from the ZIP file download.
The MS Store is version 7.7.2.0 whereas the ZIP download is later version 7.8.0.0.
Exactly what Error message do you get?

Try visiting http://ftanalyzer.com/ where it says in 1st paragraph:
If you really must you can manually download a zip file of the application from here. This version is infrequently updated and will lag behind the features of the latest version. It will also require you to manually update to get the latest changes.
Click here to download the ZIP. Strangely, the ZIP download is currently a later version :?
Unpack to any convenient folder and run the FTAnalyzer.exe file.
See fhugdownloads:contents:family_tree_analyzer|> Utility ~ Family Tree Analyzer.

If interested in GEDCOM analysis try the Show Project Statistics Plugin.
Gives lots of useful numbers and when you click Close & Report it provides an extensive list of exceptions.
Don't forget to check the Help & Advice button for loads of help and advice.

In fhugdownloads:censusrecords|> Downloads and Links ~ Census Records there are several Individual Queries for analysing missing Census events.

Also don't overlook the Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I forget to mention a reset option that often fixes problems.
Sometimes Windows 10 upsets your account Profile and the Fast Startup mechanism never fixes that.
So Sign out and use the Power menu Restart option instead of the Shut down option.
Alternatively, after Sign out, hold the PC power-on button in for 10 secs until it shuts down.
( That is the PC power button NOT the mains plug switch. )
Both the Restart option and the forced shut down cause the account Profile to be rebuilt from scratch and that may repair whatever is preventing the download.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Is it a error that when you attempt to open the download Windows objects because you do not have sufficient administrator rights? I had this in the beginning when trying to install FT Analyzer. You will need to either adjust the Windows Defender settings to allow the program to run (install) or elevate your Windows authority level.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Windows has an S mode which inhibits downloading apps not from the Microsoft Store - though it might not be relevant here.

The Restart option referred to by Mike is well worth knowing about. It is to a good alternative to the Shut down and reboot standard fix.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I also use FT Analyser but it's currently having an issue with how I record census references; I'm following that up on the appropriate forum.

I'm currently using the excellent Show Project Statistics Plugin. Working through the missing marriages😊
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum

Post by Peter_H_Williams »

Mike and David

Thanks, I have tried your suggestions. I built the computer and bought the Enterprise Version Licence in order to save myself from Cortana (although recent updates have removed that option). I have full Administrator rights and although I usually turn off using the Alt-F4 route I tried it again, unplugged the PC from the power and held down the on/off button to fully discharge BIOS. I have tried everything Alexander Bisset suggested except rebuilding the system which I know is sometimes the only way to circumvent odd behavior with Windows.

The inexplicable thing is that I can install Adobe Photoshop Express from the store (I haven't tried anything else).

I just wondered whether I was alone, or whether anyone else had had this problem. I'm attaching this morning's CBS log generated whilst attempting to install but I think I'm faced with using the older version. It is still an outstanding program though I will try the plug-in you mentioned Mike.
Peter
Attachments
CBS.log.txt
(398.25 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, I am not sure the reset process you describe is quite the same as I suggested.
It is not clear why Alt+F4 is relevant as that just closes the current application/window (unless you have redefined it).
You say you unplugged the PC from the power, so I guess it is a laptop that continues on battery power.
I did not know that holding down the power button also fully discharges the BIOS, but the main point is that it causes Windows to rebuild your account profile on reboot.
Also, try using the standard Restart option instead of Shut down.

Sorry, but I don't understand the details of the CBS log.

As I said, the old direct install method actually installs a later version than the MS Store!
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Peter are there screen error messages you can copy paste here?
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

The Version 7.8 (Update) should appear in the Microsoft Store very soon, see - https://github.com/ShammyLevva/FTAnalyzer

I suppose it's all down to whether the developer updates his own site download links at the same time as he makes his software update submission to the Microsoft Store, which is bound to introduce publishing delays slightly. From his comments, the speed of his own site updates could be a bit hit and miss and he certainly doesn't appear to have time to document most updates, except on GitHub.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have just had to update FTAnalyzer on my VM as it was an old version and I wanted to checkout a gedcom that won't load into FH.

I ran into similar problems when trying to download the version from the Windows store it kept saying error when it tried to download. I pushed the Get button and again it failed. Started again and same result. Then instead of trying Get again I clicked the reload button circle with an arrow at the end of the loading progress bar. This time it downloaded and installed so it looks like there is an issue with the M$ store.

As an aside the gedcom was from a programme called GeneWeb which I had never come across before. Lots of errors in it no wonder FH wouldn't load it neither would my plugin.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Colin, another useful tool is GEDCOM Validator from Chronoplex Software.
It checks the validity of GEDCOM 5.5, 5.5.1, 5.5.5, and 5.6 files, but needs Microsoft® .NET Framework 4.8 or later.
https://chronoplexsoftware.com/gedcomva ... /index.htm
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks @Mike I will take a look at that. It won't be a problem on my VM.