* CrossOver v19

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

CrossOver v19

Post by Valkrider »

I have just received an announcement that CrossOver 19 will be released tomorrow.

I have tried the beta's and the release candidates and they all work with FH and AS fine on a Mac just like 18. However, on Mojave I am still getting the 32bit warning even though this is supposed to be fixed in this version. So I am still not updating to Catalina.
mjashby
Megastar

Re: CrossOver v19

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

Works fine on Catalina (which itself has just been upgraded to 10.15.2 - another 3Gb download which makes Windows monthly updates look puny!)

A third-party MacOS checker (Go64) reports Crossover as 64-bit, apart from one library file 'libFAudio.0.19.10.dylib' Not sure what the impact might be, but it doesn't adversely affect any of the apps I've tried so far. FH6, Ancestral Sources, Charting Companion 7, RootsMagic 7 all working O.K., although screen redrawing tends to slow down sometimes - which might be down to the combination of applications being used at the same time).

Mervyn
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Mervyn, I've upgraded my MacOS to Catalina, and have the latest Crossover 19. When I start Family Historian I get stuck with the message "Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version. File "MSIMG32.dll" error 126." Any ideas what steps I could try?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This may be unrelated but see how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#error_126dll_maybe_missing_corrupt_or_wrong_version|> Error 126: DLL Maybe Missing, Corrupt or Wrong Version that suggests the Microsoft Visual C++ package normally installed by ƒh was not installed correctly.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Thanks Mike. I've been an hour or two but am now sorted.
I think that file I mentioned was in a list of those deleted by BitDefender anti-virus when I installed CrossOver 19 a couple of weeks back. It treated several of them as possible Trojans. CodeWeavers have issued advice on this.
I decided to uninstall BitDefender, uninstall CrossOver and FH6 and start the process again.
This didn't go too well at first with an error message about not being able to create a bottle for FH6.
I succeeded eventually.

FH6 is now working successfully under MacOS Catalina and Crossover 19 for me. I don't use Ancestral Sources so can't comment on that.

Happy New Year to all.
Nicola
Gold

Post by Nicola »

I've just discovered Crossover and am thrilled to see FH on my large screened Mac! I'm only on the Crossover free trial at the moment and this may be why I cannot access FMP or MH hints? Clicking on the hint opens the web screen but nothing else happens - it's blank. Can you access hints on the full version only?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Nicola.

FMP and MH hints work OK in the FH 30-day Trial version. The only restriction is Plugins won't work.
You are experiencing one of the Crossover limitations.

My suspicion is that you have probably not worked through all of the detailed sections of advice within how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine where under Reported Problems it says "Use Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches > Location to Display Matches: External Web Browser to avoid problems with the internal window."

Checkout the other problem avoidance advice too.
Nicola
Gold

Post by Nicola »

Thanks, Mike. I was in such a rush to try it out, I probably missed that bit :)

...And it works! Thanks again!
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

Please could you talk me through how you got it to work. I got the same error message when trying to open FH 6 recently on CO19, so uninstalled FH and now cannot get it to reinstall, it gets stuck and Im starting to lose my sanity. Thanks

Bundle wrote: 05 Jan 2020 18:48 Thanks Mike. I've been an hour or two but am now sorted.
I think that file I mentioned was in a list of those deleted by BitDefender anti-virus when I installed CrossOver 19 a couple of weeks back. It treated several of them as possible Trojans. CodeWeavers have issued advice on this.
I decided to uninstall BitDefender, uninstall CrossOver and FH6 and start the process again.
This didn't go too well at first with an error message about not being able to create a bottle for FH6.
I succeeded eventually.

FH6 is now working successfully under MacOS Catalina and Crossover 19 for me. I don't use Ancestral Sources so can't comment on that.

Happy New Year to all.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the error message reports File "MSIMG32.dll" error 126 then as Bundle explained you must uninstall BitDefender, uninstall CrossOver and start the process again, i.e. reinstall CO19 and then FH. Just reinstalling FH won't fix it.
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

I have uninistalled my anti virus (don't have bitdefender on my Mac), crossover and fH, I have re-installed CO, but cant get FH to install still.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Karen, what error messages do you get?
Please always include as much information as possible with such problems, perhaps even a screenshot.
I notice that Bundle had a struggle to "create a bottle for FH6" so is that your problem?

Unfortunately, I am not a Mac/Crossover user, so you may have to wait for such a user to come along.

With a Windows PC it is always a good idea to reboot/restart between uninstall and reinstall to ensure any residual product data is cleared out, so maybe a Mac is the same.
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

This was the original error message that caused me to un-install FH in the first place.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 19.39.12.png
Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 19.39.12.png (24.49 KiB) Viewed 14154 times
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

This is what happens with V5, it stalls here.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.03.28.png
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.03.28.png (63.41 KiB) Viewed 14138 times
KarenMG
Platinum

Post by KarenMG »

This is V4
(my original full version was 4, with 2 upgrades to 5 and then 6)
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.10.47.png
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.10.47.png (122.55 KiB) Viewed 14137 times
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.10.33.png
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 12.10.33.png (102.19 KiB) Viewed 14137 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, as stated in how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine, old versions of FH may NOT install into Crossover 19. Only FH V6 has been ratified against current versions of Crossover.

You should only be attempting to install your purchased copy of FH V6 which is the Upgrade from V5.
i.e. upgrade_fh_v5_to_v6.0.0-dl.exe or the equivalent CD.
Do not use free trial downloads from the Calico Pie website.

To perform that install you need the V4 upgrade to V5 licence details and V5 upgrade to V6 licence details ~ that is all.

(The old V4 and V5 installation media are of little use to you and may as well be discarded.)

After installing the purchased copy, you may have to install the free download to update to FH V6.2.7 but we can deal with that if you help with it once the purchased FH V6 is installed.

See how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice for full details.
dianelingwood
Gold

Post by dianelingwood »

First post here! I am currently using FH V6 on my Mac (OS Mojave Version 10.14.6) through Crossover (Version 16.2). I have been putting off updating to Crossover Version 19 and Mac Catalina for fear of problems with FH and because I'm not very skilled in this area. Would anyone suggest a best order to update i.e Crossover first then Mac operating system or vice versa, and any other things to watch out for or other tips? I do have Norton installed.

I see in previous posts mention of a problem with a library file on FH - is this resolved?
Any advice gratefully received!
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Normally, I would update MacOS first and then existing software but, as no Crossover version prior to 19.x is compatible with MacOS Catalina that approach doesn't work particularly well. - It really needs to be Crossover first to overcome the problems with 32-bit software; and that will update the structure of any existing Family Historian application; and also any other Windows apps you have installed in Crossover, for compatibility with the MacOS (Catalina) upgrade. If you don't do it in that order there is a possibility that the MacOS upgrade will auto-remove/disable any 'non-compatible 32-bit software'.

One final caveat: You may wish to delay upgrading for a short while, as Crossover 20 (Beta) is currently in testing and past experience suggests that the final Version 20 will probably be released in September, unless any really serious problems are identified in testing, as they do tend to be very close to the final version before releasing beta versions for wider user testing. So far, the current Beta Version seems to be performing better for me (more smoothly) than 19.1, which sometimes seemed to have problems with Family Historian, i.e. frequent delays in refreshing/updating the screen when switching between views.

Mervyn
dianelingwood
Gold

Post by dianelingwood »

Thanks for the reply Mervyn. I have held off updating because of the 32 bit issues. Bearing in mind what you said, and since I've already waited a while it may be sensible just to wait another month or two before I do anything!.
REMyhill
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by REMyhill »

Like others posting on this thread I am trying to run FH6 on my newly acquired Mac. I wasn't going to take this route but there isn't a Mac specific app that comes near FH6 (IMO). I am currently using the trial version of Crossover (I think it's version 20 now) on Big Sur. I eventually got it all running properly although I'm not entirely comfortable with the setup. I don't understand where the GEDCOM files of my projects reside, nor how to back them up so that I can recover my data in the event of a disc failure.
When I installed Crossover I opened the project from an external hard drive. When I close Crossover does the updated project file automatically save to that same drive or does Crossover keep it somewhere within the app? If the former then it would be a simple matter of making a backup copy regularly from the drive. If the latter, that would make me rather nervous! Has anyone made backups on the Mac/Crossover combination? If so, I'd be grateful for an idiot's guide on how to do it. Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Project folder configuration in Crossover is essentially the same as in Windows.
The Project folder (containing the GEDCOM file at its heart) resides within the Family Historian Projects folder, or whatever path you have defined in File > Project Window > Location the same as in native Windows.
As far as FH is concerned, it is running in a Windows environment and works just the same.
So the FH File > Backup/Restore commands work as they do in native Windows.