* Rootsweb?

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Rootsweb?

Post by GeneSniper »

Can someone tell me why family-historian-users@rootsweb.com emails have started to appear in my inbox? I can't remember signing up to anything (especially over the last month or so) and for that matter don't even know what Rootsweb is for. They have just started arriving over the last couple of weeks and more so over the last few days. I am guessing it is something to do with FH due to the email address, but would like to know what it actually was.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Rootsweb?

Post by tatewise »

See info:mailing_list|> FHU Mailing List and https://www.family-historian.co.uk/community/fhu that explain everything.
It is very strange if you really are sure you never subscribed to join the list.
You can unsubscribe by following the link at the bottom of the messages.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Thanks Mike, I'll have a read at that. Haven't signed up to anything recently and would have presumed that I would have been getting them in the past (not just the last few weeks) if I had signed up a while ago. Although I don't remember doing so.

UPDATE: Take all I said back, I did subscribe a long while ago, never received any emails and forgot all about it. I subscribed again a few months ago and received an email at the end of each week for a few weeks and then nothing again and now it seems to have burst into life.
Last edited by GeneSniper on 23 Sep 2019 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
William

davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

I'm signed up to it, but had not received very much for a while until about a couple of weeks ago when a few started to trickle in.

I just assumed the mailing list had gone very quiet.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a bit odd, because Jane posts a This week's active discussion topics in the FHUG Forums every week.
So even if there are no other postings you should get that one, unless you have an Email filter to block that one.
Apart from those postings from Jane, the list has been very quiet until the last month or so.

However, Rootsweb has had a chequered history of misbehaviour, which may account for your irregular messages.

In info:mailing_list|> FHU Mailing List there is a link to the archive at Rootsweb where you can check postings back to 2001.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

tatewise wrote: 24 Sep 2019 08:13 That is a bit odd, because Jane posts a This week's active discussion topics in the FHUG Forums every week.
That is the one I got for about three weeks, then nothing for about 4 weeks and then as I said it burst into life over the last couple of weeks.
William

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have a record of receiving them regularly this year but there are gaps (maybe when Jane goes on holiday).
e.g. Received four in May, but then only 1st June, 15th June, 1st July, 8th Aug & then weekly, but none in September, and that is despite many more being logged in the Rootsweb archive, so something strange is happening.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The "This Weeks" are posted from the Server using a Cron job, the old hosting sometimes did not run the job. The new one seems pretty good.

I find some "random" mailing list posts get pushed into my spam folder, but no obvious pattern has been spotted.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I found one missing Rootsweb message in my Spam folder, but none of Jane's weekly messages.
So have no idea where they have gone.