* Mac Crossover Users update

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Mac Crossover Users update

Post by Valkrider »

If you are running Crossover on a Mac (I don't know about Linux) make sure you do the update to v18.5.0. I have been running the beta and it does not now crash Family Historian when you update a gedcom in Ancestral Sources that is open in FH. :D :D
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Mac Crossover Users update

Post by tatewise »

That is good news Colin.

Have you checked if any of the how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#problems_with_plugins|> Problems With Plugins or other how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#reported_problems|> Reported Problems have been resolved?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin & Mike,

I believe the 'improvements' in Crossover 18.5 largely come from updating the version of Wine used to Version 4.0 as the same positive behaviour has been apparent for some time in other options for creating Wine.apps, that have allowed the use of 4.0 and later versions for some time (The Wine development version with various bug fixes is already up to 4.4!).

The strength of Crossover obviously comes largely from the paid support provided, but the downside is that, unlike the other options around, the software doesn't enable users to use alternative Wine Engines (or even retain old Engines that worked previously), so it can be problematic discovering the cause of any issues when an app that used to work with in a previous version suddenly stops functioning in the same way.

I'm slowly checking which published plug-ins work in a Wine/Crossover conversion of Family Historian. Most of those I use regularly seem to work, but is there a list of those that don't/didn't work on installation without 'alteration' and I'll try to focus on testing those.

As a starter I've noted that 'Check Installed Plugins against the Store' connects and performs the checks/displays results correctly, but if an update downloaded is requested it produces "An error occurred in the Download please try later".

By the way, Crossover has supported the direct installation of both Family Historian and Ancestral Sources for some time, but automatically downloads the latest online versions, which creates installation issues for anyone who only has a Family Historian CD Key; and/or anyone who wants to install Ancestral Sources in the same 'bottle' as Family Historian.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mervyn, are you consulting the how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine?

That lists Problems With Plugins, etc...
If Check Installed Plugins Against the Store now lists details correctly, then that is a big step forward.
Most of my more complex Plugins perform a similar check of their own version.
The Plugin download error is probably related to the Plugin Library Modules download error.
In Check Installed Plugins Against the Store Plugin, on line 121 try changing https to http as that may be a problem on Mac.

Sorry, I don't understand the issues in your last paragraph.
The FH Help > Check For Updates automatic download is only for free updates so licence keys are irrelevant, and is just the same for genuine Windows installations.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Has anyone tried the Check Installed Plugins Against the Store Plugin alteration I suggested earlier?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

I have managed to do some testing

The backup FH settings now seems to work.
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.04.20.png
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.04.20.png (31.79 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Unfortunately Check plugins against store does not even with http:// or https:// It runs and does the check but fails on the download
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.06.51.png
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.06.51.png (39.96 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.07.22.png
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.07.22.png (49.6 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
And unfortunately the plugin then lies
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.09.40.png
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.09.40.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.10.27.png
Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 16.10.27.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, you have forgotten that we got the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin working in Crossover ages ago, as it says in the how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine.

That the Check Installed Plugins Against the Store provides any status is a big step forward.
The download failure is a sticking point, and you may have identified a flaw in Results details.

If you run your current Export Gedcom File Plugin V3.6 does it say there is a later version in Plugin Store ?

Are any of the Reported Problems fixed (excluding those that are never likley to be fixed) ?