* FH Upgrade Schedule (roughly speaking)

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Vyger
Famous
Family Historian: V7

FH Upgrade Schedule (roughly speaking)

Post by Vyger »

I am currently a Rootsmagic user which is due a version upgrade. I have trialed the current version of FH and am impressed with many features which could be of use, these features are not currently available in Rootsmagic.

I'm working out that FH version 6 is about 4 years old so I am wondering about a rough indication of the upgrade schedule, like when might version 7 become available?

I have a large database in Rootsmagic so I need to make this decision to migrate carefully, I am fully aware release dates are not disclosed in advance, I'm just looking for the feeling from past schedules.

You can also find me on the Rootsmagic forums under the same user name, I have been a very active wish list contributor but maybe development has not been quite as fast as I would have wished.

Thanks in advance.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Jane
Site Admin

Re: FH Upgrade Schedule (roughly speaking)

Post by Jane »

You can see the earlier release dates here:
how_to:about|> About Family Historian

It's worth checking out the What's New on the main Calico site, as when Family Historian has a Major update the amount of new features tends to be large.

Calico are very cagey about new release dates, but they are always working on new versions and updates.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Thank you Jane, the decision for the future of my research will be made later this year.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Calico Pie are a tiny organisation (four employees according to their latest Companies House return), so opportunities for stress testing new features and versions in-house are limited. Have previous upgrades arrived fully formed, or do they invite forum members to beta-test prior to release?
Mark Draper
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

In the past Forum Members have been invited to be Beta testers.
I have been a Beta tester for the last two versions.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I too am a Beta Tester and was involved with V5.0 and V6.0 prior to formal release.
Only major upgrades were involved and not the intermediate free updates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry