* Gedcom v5.5.1 annotated

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom v5.5.1 annotated

Post by Valkrider »

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum and many others about the inconsistencies and inaccuracies in v5.5.1 (draft) and v5.5.

Tamura Jones in collaboration with others has put together an annotated version of the v5.5.1(draft) standard. It is available to download from his website at https://www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOM551An ... tion.xhtml the download link is at the bottom of the page. This version runs to 194 pages so it may use a lot of trees to print it out.

Hopefully software authors, not just Calico Pie, will adopt this as the 'standard' in new releases of their software and it may then improve portability between applications.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Gedcom v5.5.1 annotated

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Colin for the heads up.
I have incorporated that into fhugdownloads:contents:gedcom_standard_release_5.5|> Utility ~ GEDCOM Standard Release 5.5 and Draft Release 5.5.1.

Some time ago I logged a report with Calico Pie for "GEDCOM 5.5 and 5.5.1 Support" with ticket number #867999.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Valkrider wrote:... Hopefully software authors, not just Calico Pie, will adopt this as the 'standard' in new releases of their software and it may then improve portability between applications.
Cynicism warning - frankly I'd be happy (and amazed) if they adopted any of the GEDCOM Standards accurately...
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ditto!
Even FH is not 100% perfect, but better than any others for GEDCOM 5.5, although GEDCOM 5.5.1 is more widely implemented by other products.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Maybe they will all adopt ELF when FHISO finally release the full spec. Definitely not holding my breath over this.

See https://fhiso.org/2018/03/new-draft-standards-released/.