* Windows 10 upgrade questions

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Windows 10 upgrade questions

Post by gwilym'smum » 19 Mar 2020 07:47

Dear Evelyn
I don't understand all the technical topics you have been raising but I can endorse the comments about Libre Office. I use it all the time and the presentation is excellent. I have used it with many talks and it has all the features which I could need. The other features are also very easy to use. You can export files as pdfs.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 19 Mar 2020 10:15

Evelyn, one option is to use LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc, for most types of documents, and if necessary use Access 2010 for your database, but that relies on uninstalling MS Office H&S 2019 and hopefully getting your money back.

Did you tell whoever you purchased your Windows 10 PC from, that you need to run Access 2010?
If not, then you should have done so, and remember that advice for next time.
If you did tell them, then what they sold you is unfit for purpose and violates the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
See https://www.ridc.org.uk/your-consumer-rights-law and https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act.
They must refund your money within 30 days of purchase.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 19 Mar 2020 10:56

I would like to thank everyone who has given me such good guidance. Undecided which route to take. It is toolate to get a refund back on the Office software as I have had it over a month. But will investigate the free databases further.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 19 Mar 2020 11:13

Just because 30 days have elapsed doesn't mean you have no redress.
If you said you needed to run Access 2010 then MS Office H&S 2019 is still unfit for purpose.
The retailer must provide a repair or replacement, and if unsuccessful you can then claim a refund.
Checkout those website links, especially the Which? Consumer Rights page.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby » 19 Mar 2020 14:37

This might help: https://support.office.com/en-gb/articl ... 8c513788bf

The key message instruction seems to be:

1. Completely uninstall all MS Office 2019 Products;
2. Install the older Office Product, i.e Access 2010; and finally
3. Re-Install the Office 2019 Products

The problem arises because each version of the Office Installer changes with a new Office software version and is not backwards-compatible with earlier Office Versions, e.g. If a 2019 Office product is already installed its installer will not be backwards-compatible with any earlier versions of Office products. The Office 2010 Installer is incompatible, as it cannot replace a later version that already exists; and so will not be able to install Access 2010. One other possible 'gotcha' is that the system architecture must be the same for all products, i.e. if your newer MS Office software is 64-bit, then the Access 2010 installation must also be 64-bit. - 32-bit and 64-bit MS Office products can't co-exist.

No guarantees, but according to the link above the steps above should work, i.e. if products are installed 'earliest first'. Obviously you should take a complete system backup before trying out this method, then you can roll-back to the current state if you encounter any problems.

Mervyn

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 19 Mar 2020 15:46

Mervyn,
I am grateful. I did something of the sort , uninstalling all Office products. It didnt really work.
In the end my husband did what he has kindly done since the very first computers and solved the problem by throwing money at it. We have now subscribed to MS Office. We probably needed the on line storage space that is included.

And it is clear that I am emotionally dependent on Access. LIke a virtual Teddy Bear. Whereas the free software confused me.

Once again doing this involved MS technical help taking charge of my computer. But this time it was a very kind, clear lady who spoke sense and was infinitely reassuring. Because she explained which glitches and delays were due to their site rather than to my computer.

Mike. Thank you. I shall return the software to John Lewis.
Once again my (and my husband's) gratitute to everyone on the fh forum. You explained everything so well.