* Windows 10 upgrade questions

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
TimM
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Windows 10 upgrade questions

Post by TimM »

The up and coming deadline for free Window 10 upgrade is fast approaching. I’ve been putting off the potential problems of the transition, but must make a decision, and would appreciate some clarification.
I have Windows 7 on a desk-top PC connected to a router and use MS Office 2010 & Live Mail 2011. I don’t use wireless, although some of the family do.

I guess there are some FHUG members out there who have upgraded their PC from Windows 7 to 10, and can speak from experience and hopefully offer some advice.

My queries are:
1. Once the installation process has started and completed, did anything else have to be done to continue working as before? Ignoring custom settings.
2. Did all the programmes run as before, or did some a) need reinstalling; b) not work; c) need tweaking; d) need to run in compatible mode; or something else?
3. All your files ok?
4. Were you able to connect to the internet straightaway or was some tweaking/configuring involved?
5. Internet security/virus scan software working?
6. If you use mail (Live Mail*) or similar (with your messages on your PC), did that fire up as normal with all your inbox & sent items intact? *I’m very concerned that this works without a hitch!
7. Is a Microsoft account necessary?

Anything else I should be aware of?

I know this question is not directly related to family history, but thought some might be able to provide useful pointers.

Tim
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Windows 10 upgrade questions

Post by tatewise »

Tim, see glossary:windows_10_upgrade_tips|> Windows 10 Upgrade Tips.

Those are the tips I use for members of the Computer Club that I run.
Several members, including myself, have recently used them to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but just because it works OK for many does not guarantee it works OK for everyone. Make sure you have good document backups and know how to reinstall all programs with licences. Even better, create a disk image backup.

To answer some of your queries:
1. Mostly all accounts, programs, and files were as before.
2. One or two programs needed tweaking, and the new Windows apps are misbehaving in some accounts (but I am not keen on using them anyway).
3. All files OK.
4. Internet all OK as per Windows 7.
5. Windows 10 has Windows Defender as a basic level of protection, but I disabled Avast before the upgrade, and enabled after upgrade, and all is OK.
6. Both Windows Live Mail and Microsoft Office Outlook worked as before.
7. Initially your accounts will login exactly as they did in Windows 7 as local accounts. You do not need any Microsoft Accounts, unless you wish to use OneDrive, or the Windows Store, etc, but even then you can login when needed and the Windows account can remain as a local account, just like Windows 7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

I use sleep mode quite a lot, and had previously set my W7 system up so that it would only wake up by briefly pressing the power button. After W10 upgrade it seemed to wake itself up within a minute or so, for no apparent reason. Found the solution to that one here:
http://superuser.com/questions/973009/c ... 029#973029

Also wanted to disable the lock screen (the screen with the beach picture that you have to click to get the login screen). Found the answer to that one here, plus many other useful tips (note that there's a linked page - 15 More Tips & Tricks You Need to Know):
http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/4 ... 0-0163455/

I also use Classic Shell to get my menus looking more like XP (I used this in W7 as well) http://www.classicshell.net/

A bit late for you, but for others reading this, before upgrading to W10 I tidied up my W7 (installed all W7 updates, uninstalled any programs that I knew I didn't want anymore, ran Disk Clean-up) and then saved a disk image to a usb drive. This meant that if the W10 upgrade went pear shaped I could reliably get back to my W7 system (the option in W10 to go back to W7 has not worked properly for quite a lot of people).
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
SRSW
Family Historian: V6

Post by SRSW »

I upgraded a laptop from Win 8 (Which I hated as an OS) to Win 10 - No issues at all!

Hope you experience the same
Nothing a cup of tea can't fix!
TOWYUSK

Post by TOWYUSK »

Having had to buy a new computer I find that I cannot reload my FAMILY HISTORIAN as I started with Series 2 and then purchased upgrades, -- does this mean I have to purchase a new Version 6 in order to access my saved records, or is there a driver anywhere that will do the job
In other words ---help
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

See how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice where it explains you only need install your latest purchased V5 to V6 Upgrade that will request your V6 licence key and V5 licence key. If you have lost any of those then see how_to:family_historian_licence_problems#mislaid_licence_details_or_software_download|> Mislaid Licence Details or Software Download for advice.

You should definitely make sure you also read how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide to ensure you move everything you need to your new computer.
TOWYUSK

Post by TOWYUSK »

Dear Colne Valley girl,

Thank you -- that worked.

Regards
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I upgraded a brand new and simple Lenovo Windows 8 lap top when prompted by a message rolled out from MS. I had almost no data on the lap top. All the software was reinstalled. Everything seemed the same. John Lewis offered to do it for me but I just followed the prompts.

However I use a Sony Vaio desktop with a sort of dual Sony system for browser and touch screen running alongside windows 7, and available as a separate and rapid internet access (tho I dont use it).
MS did not recommend upgrading this computer to Windows 10 and last week after reading that Windows 7 would be discontinued next December, I checked again and could see no prompt to upgrade.

My friend uses Windows 10 with a Windows 7 shell. I dont really understand why a shell is needed as I run Windows 10 on my lap top using the same green desk top with icons as I use in Windows 7. I also seem to be able to install and use Windows 7 and xp software.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Windows 7 Shell ~ Some people like the desktop and start menu style to be more like Windows 7 but that is only a superficial presentation style customisation. It does not turn it into a Windows 7 PC.

Windows applications ~ Yes, most earlier Windows applications will install & run in Windows 10 and there are Compatibility Mode options to assist with that if necessary.

Sony Vaio ~ Some older PC are not Windows 10 compatible and so would not be offered the free upgrade. Anyway, that free offer has now long expired and Windows 10 would now cost you about £100. You could investigate the Windows 10 upgrade option by contacting Sony or a local computer shop. However, a PC of that vintage is living on borrowed time and may need replacing before long anyway.

Windows 7 ~ Strictly speaking this will not be 'discontinued' next December as it has not been commercially available to purchase for several years. Actually from next February 2020 the monthly Windows security updates will cease. Windows 7 will continue working and your anti-malware tools will protect you much as they do now. But over time the security risks will slowly increase.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. For both the explanations. I have Mcafee. So may be will be able to keep this computer and Windows 7 after all. I have always kept my computers for 8 years and never had one fail. This one is only 7 years old. I am particularly fond of it as it has a beautiful and wide screen. I can have a census or certificate image open alongside fh. It was bought as a second TV to watch the UK Olympics on line.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When it comes to replacing that Windows 7 PC with a Windows 10 PC, you may well be able to continue to use that wide screen monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, and your printer with just a brand new bare tower. It largely depends on the connectors. When the time comes, ask here for advice.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I needed to replace monitors recently, and went with a single "ultrawide" from LG. It's brilliant - plenty of room to have FH and a source document open side by side without the huge sacrifice in desk real estate required by twin widescreens, or even a laptop with supplementary monitor. Mine is 2 * HDMI input, but there are models around with at least one legacy DVI connector.
Mark Draper
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Mark1834 wrote:I needed to replace monitors recently, and went with a single "ultrawide" from LG.
Oh dear, I just seen a review for the 49" version. I think I am in love, but not with the price. :D
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I have a 34" Ultrawide monitor and find I can have FH and a second window open and legible side by side -- and even three windows open in columns for some activities. Still pricey though.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

You don’t have to go too big - my LG is “only” 29”, and I find that plenty big enough. It’s the same as two non-widescreen 17” monitors side by side, and in my experience over the years, 17-19” non-widescreen is about the right size for text-based applications such as FH. If you want to look at very wide tables or charts you can easily use the entire screen area.
Mark Draper
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

tatewise wrote:When it comes to replacing that Windows 7 PC with a Windows 10 PC, you may well be able to continue to use that wide screen monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, and your printer with just a brand new bare tower. It largely depends on the connectors. When the time comes, ask here for advice.

Thanks Mike. I had wondered.
My current screen is 27" measured on the diagonal. It does have an HDM1 input but it not just a monitor, it is an all in one computer. I realise that all in one is not good in terms of computing power, but when we need to move the computer off the table which is also used for large family gatherings it has proved a real blessing.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

My upgrading to a Windows 10 computer has not been trouble free.
Does anyone know if Microsoft can indeed remotely disable my computer if I run what might be wrongly regarded as an unlicensed product?
Does anyone know a Forum where I could post this question?
I use MS Access 2010 which I own on a disc with a valid key.

When I bought the new computer, I also bought a new version of Word and Excell , called MS Office Home and Student 2019.
After hours of MS tech remote controlling my machine, MS technical people are unable to legitimise my copy of the old software.
They tell me Access 2010 is not compatible with the newly purchased Office Products.

I reinstalled today and the software opens fine but wrongly states that it is an unlicensed product. I use Access only for long lists and really dont want to spend £109 on a new version.

I run Access 2010 with no problem alongside MS Office 2007 on my Windows 10 lap top.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Evelyn

I abandoned Microsoft Office a few years ago and have since used bits of LibreOffice - which is Free Open Source Software.
  • The Calc equivalent of Excel is fine - I have not run into compatibility problems (and I would define myself as a "power user" having developed apps at work).
  • Write - the equivalent of Word is as good as the last pre-ribbon version of Word
  • Impress and Draw are a bit different to Powerpoint but do the job
  • Base - the Access equivalent, I have not looked at. You might want to download it and offer it a copy of your Access database and see what happens.
    Base is a full-featured desktop database front end, designed to meet the needs of a broad array of users. Base caters to power users and enterprise requirements, providing native-support drivers for some of the most widely employed multi-user database engines: MySQL/MariaDB, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL. In addition, the built-in support for JDBC- and ODBC-standard drivers allows you to connect to virtually any other existing database engine as well.
(This is the office package which is included in many Linux distributions - but runs on Windows)

David
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

A solution is to install opensource (i.e free) software like LibreOffice or OpenOffice. They are both compatible with MS Office, and can readily open their files.
Their modules include Database, Word Processor and Spreadsheet and other components, which are as good or better than MS Office.
If you are of a technical mind, and only want a database, you could try Mysql, another Opensource product, (widely used as the professional database behind some very large websites!)

This answer appears to have crossed and duplicate everything that David has said (great minds think alike :D )

On the subject of large monitors, it is cheaper to buy a 4k Digital TV than a dedicated Monitor. Saying that, a dedicated monitor is better for serious gaming ( as my grandson tells me :D ) However, for FH, it is ideal.
Last edited by Gowermick on 18 Mar 2020 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you David. I downloaded it this morning and had a look at it also a year or two ago.
One purpose was so that my heirs could look at the household inventory even if they didnt own MS Access.

The problem is that when I try to open the Access database, the Base software crashes.
That did not happen when I did a dress rehearsal on my Windows 7 computer.

I think the original Amstrad home computer had a database included and for this reason I started to use databases - Paradox and then MS Access for my academic work. These days disc space is no problem but I still rely on them.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you for telling me about mysql - I didnt now about that and will look at it before buying the latest MS Access.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

E Wilcock wrote: 18 Mar 2020 19:15 Thank you for telling me about mysql - I didnt now about that and will look at it before buying the latest MS Access.
Mysql works quite happily with Libreoffice, which I use as its front end. So my queries, forms and reports are created in Libreoffice, and access the underlying data held in a Mysql database. It is a very powerful database, and its power is not to be underestimated! :D

NB There is also Mysql workbench to help with the administration of Mysql
Mike Loney

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't believe MS can inhibit your PC remotely, and since you have a genuine licence your Access 2010 is legitimate.

This advice may be too late, but I think you were badly advised to buy MS Office Home and Student 2019 (£120).

As has been said, there are many free Office products, and not just LibreOffice or OpenOffice.
But if you use advanced features of Access nothing else will do, or you must convert your database.
Google search for free office products software.
That includes MS Office Online that runs in your browser for FREE but does NOT include Access.
However, your old Access 2010 would install OK if it weren't for MS Office H & S 2019.

For £60 per year, you can rent MS Office 365 that includes every MS Office product including Access, plus 1 Terabyte of OneDrive storage, for up to 5 devices (PC, tablets, etc).
You will probably need that OneDrive storage, as only 5 Gigabyte is free.
Also, the Office products will be continually updated to the latest version.

So try to uninstall and return MS Office Home and Student 2019 and get your money back. You don't need it.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

For the techies amongst us, the root cause of the problem is that Microsoft has two different 'software installation architectures' for Office which are not compatible with each other. Standalone products like Access 2010 use the old one; MS Office H&S 2019 uses the new one.

I ran into a similar conflict between Visio 2007 and MS Office 365 and had to abandon using Visio.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 19 Mar 2020 07:16 For the techies amongst us, the root cause of the problem is that Microsoft has two different 'software installation architectures' for Office which are not compatible with each other. Standalone products like Access 2010 use the old one; MS Office H&S 2019 uses the new one.

I ran into a similar conflict between Visio 2007 and MS Office 365 and had to abandon using Visio.
Helen
Says it all really! Is it surprising that apart from their Operating System, I abandoned MS products a long time ago. MS only seem to be interested in their bottom line.
I note that David has even abandened their OS, and has gone with Linux :D
Mike
Mike Loney