* GEDCOM 7.0

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: GEDCOM 7.0

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 09 Jun 2021 11:12

Mark1834 wrote:
09 Jun 2021 11:04
Probably - I think the takeaway from this is that GEDCOM works tolerably well for recording Western-style family relationships up until about the end of the last century (coincidentally, exactly the markets where genealogy software is currently sold), but something fundamentally different will probably be needed in the future when we are all dead and buried...
Fair summary -- except the something different is needed now, for people from cultures with different family structures. I suspect it's a chicken-and-egg situation -- the market may not be there because the daemand isn't there, but the demand isn't there because there's no software to support it. PAF kickstarted the genealogy software market in the West, and IIRC led to the development of Gedcom; if there's something similar happening in other parts of the world I haven't seen it (but I haven't gone looking). China and India would be the big markets, I guess.

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce » 09 Jun 2021 13:48

If we had DNA testing before PAF, etc & GEDCOM - would the GEDCOM etc Data Model bear any relation to what it is now? (Rhetorical question)
Adrian

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 09 Jun 2021 15:33

....something fundamentally different will probably be needed in the future when we are all dead and buried...
Yes, I do wonder what will happen if our descendants start cloning themselves!
Is a clone a 'child' (with a single biological parent)? Or a twin (born/created many years after its identical sibling?) :?
Lorna