* FH7 Looks?

The place to chat and put the world to rights
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: FH7 Looks?

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 10 Mar 2020 15:16

How many people have freely chosen to move to Windows 10?

I did. I find it very stable -- I've had many fewer problems than with Windows 7 or 8 -- and very customisable. (I particularly like the ability to use light-weight apps rather than heavyweight programs for some purposes).
As for the ribbon interface!
I like it -- again, I've customised it extensively, including auto-hiding it so it doesn't use screen space when I don't need it. I can go straight to the commands I need when I need them, and don't need to ignore the ones I never use.

But, as others have said, if you use Windows 10 and Office out of the box, you'll find things you don't like. Only you can decide it you're going to spend some time learning how to make it fit the way you work (and believe me, I've seen some weird ways of working that individuals are very happy with -- and power to their elbow if that's the case) or whether you accept the defaults and reserve your effort for pointing out that fings aren't what they used to be.

GeneSniper
Famous

Post by GeneSniper » 10 Mar 2020 15:38

davidf wrote:
10 Mar 2020 14:41

How many people have freely chosen to move to Windows 10? Microsoft has the muscle to get it as the default OS on new laptops, and it withdraws support for the old OS
Me for one, I like Windows 10 and have to say I find it the best OS I have used. How many other operating systems write drivers for pretty much all PC's, that's really why it is on most PC's and as for withdrawing support. Are there many operating systems that are still being supported 10 years on?

I always found Linux too cumbersome to use and discarded it many years ago, It has maybe improved but the last time I looked at it (A couple of years ago) my mind wasn't changed. MacOS just isn't for me, too expensive and doesn't cut the mustard for the things I do. Chrome OS too basic, relies too much on the internet has Google looking over your shoulder and like MacOS doesn't cut the mustard.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *

Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick » 10 Mar 2020 16:16

GeneSniper wrote:
10 Mar 2020 13:15
Gowermick

How's Windows 3 and Family Historian V1 coming along for you? Surely the world advances and software along with it probably the reason you are using FH6.2.7 and Windows 10 and not a quill and parchment. What would you do if FH went down the ribbon route (which works very well if you give it a chance), look for different software or get used to a different way of working with the best Genealogy software. Office is the best software at what it does, although I will agree that it is probably a bit of overkill for most people, unless you also require 1Tb of cloud back-up for around 50 squid a year included.

This seems to have grown arms and legs since I asked my original question about whether FH was updating its looks. Either way I will still be using it I just wanted to know whether it was going to look a bit more modern.

genesniper
I am not averse to changes when they improve my experience. I just object to the likes of MS making 'Improvements', which are anything but!
With the arrival of the latest processors and memory capabilities, MS Office should be lightning fast, but it is not, because MS have added so much bloatware (fancy ribbons etc), that it just slows the whole thing back down. This not a rant at MS in particular, as Charting Companion has fallen into the same trap. Whilst FH loads my large tree in seconds, CC takes forever (20 + seconds). If I change a person in FH, CC has to reload, and this makes the programme unusable. CC's excuse is that the programme is designed to be scalable, and is not slowed down by a very large tree. Unfortunately it means that normal trees suffer as a consequence.

Rant over :lol: :lol:
Mike Loney

Using FH 6.2.7, with CC 6.7.37 Windows 10 Home, LibreOffice (x64), Firefox(x64) & Thunderbird
Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com

GeneSniper
Famous

Post by GeneSniper » 10 Mar 2020 18:13

Mike

That's the same with everything. Remember when the Internet was like lightening when broadband first came out, then dial up pretty much disappeared and the Internet Web pages became filled with pictures, videos and adverts. Internet pages took longer to load until fibre appeared, now we have streaming of Uhd movies and no doubt when faster Internet arrives there will be something else to slow it down.

Software designers add things we don't need all the time, because of more processing power and every now and then one of the things becomes a must have. I agree totally that software should all run like the wind now adays but we want more and more and that always slows things down. I am sure if CP implemented the full FHUG wish list it would slow down as well, but Moores Law should solve that problem and we will eventually get everything at a speed we want
William

klm2OUMK
Silver

Post by klm2OUMK » 17 May 2020 09:09

I don't know if this the right forum to ask when the much anticipated new version 7 of Family Historian will become available in the near future after completion of beta trials?

(Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered)

Thank you. Everybody take care and continue to enjoy your family history research

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 17 May 2020 10:41

We have no idea when FH7 is going to appear. Even when it goes into beta testing (if it hasn't already done so) the beta testers aren't allowed to say that beta testing has started, nor does anyone know how long that testing will take.

So... we'll all just have to wait and see.

klm2OUMK
Silver

Post by klm2OUMK » 17 May 2020 11:19

Thank you for the update. Look forward to hearing any news in the future

jsphillips
Superstar

Post by jsphillips » 23 May 2020 16:42

I for one am getting fed up with waiting for FH7 like many companies obviously Calico has the time now to accelerate its testing and release date.
I for one am not recommending any of my U3A members to take this program on board. Calico should not have released earlier its ideas and presentation. Also to take heed of the wish list !!
There are many other software companies who plan and update and release their new program earlier.
Now giving my people the thumbs up for other software suggestions and to trial where possible.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 23 May 2020 17:03

obviously Calico has the time now to accelerate its testing and release date.
Well, maybe -- if no-one involved has Covid-related health problems, or childcare responsibilities that make working from home less effective, and if they aren't dependent on others for software components that are delayed for exactly the same reasons. And that's before we get to the question of whether beta testers are similarly unencumbered...

CP would have been commercially remiss not to take advantage of the publicity opportunity that Rootstech London 2019 offered. Would you have preferred not to know that a new version was in the works? Or would you have been "giving your people the thumbs up for other software suggestions and to trial where possible" because CP was silent.

I'd also say that what we've heard so far (formatted text, source templates etc.) hits many of the long-standing wish-list items. And until we see the product released, we can't know what else has been addressed.

And finally, if you could recommend the current product to 'your people' why can't you do so now?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 23 May 2020 19:01

I second that.
If FH V6 was worth recommending last year, then it is still worth recommending now, regardless of where FH V7 is in the pipeline. Who knows what Covid-19 issues Calico Pie are facing? Let us hope they are not serious.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

GeneSniper
Famous

Post by GeneSniper » 24 May 2020 08:25

HMMMMMM!!!!!!

I agree that FH6 is a great program, but whether I would recommend it to someone just now I am not so sure. Imagine buying FH6 seven months ago when you were being offered a free upgrade to FH7, you learn how to use the program and CP release FH7 and it is so different that you have to learn how to use the software all over again. This is my problem with companies just saying we are going to release software sometime in the future, without showing how it will look or work. If you have a working copy (Which CP obviously did at RootsTech) then put up a video on your site or some screenshots just to show that things are changing, but not too much. Rootsmagic being the classic example at the moment, If I was going to purchase RM7 with the promise of RM8 and had seen how different it was going to be, I would have hung off until RM8 was released or moved to another program. The learning curve of a new program can be great enough without having it pretty much forced on you with a new release 6,8,10 months down the line. Then again with the RM example you would have got your moneys worth from RM7 by the time RM8 gets released :lol: .

I put off redoing my tree because of the FH7 release (which I would never have done if I had known it would take this long), as I had enough work to be getting on with tidying up my tree. I had hoped the little that had been said about the release was exactly what I was looking for and was willing to wait. I have finished my project housekeeping and really don't want to start a redo that may turn into another redo or massive housekeeping exercise. I have ended up having a look at other software to see how they work just in case FH7 is not what I was hoping it was going to be and something does it better. Please don't have a rant about my last sentence, FH7 will probably be everything I am looking for (As FH6 isn't far away from it), I have just found in the past with software releases that when things are spoken about but not shown, they either end up not appearing or are watered down because they have ended up being to difficult to implement or make the original program a nightmare to use and get pulled all together. I presume CP haven't been resting on their laurels and have been working on this upgrade since before 6.2.7 was released 2 years ago, so a what's coming in FH7 page on there website would not be out of the realms of possibility. As for COVID19 as an excuse??? A simple message on your website saying that due to COVID19 the release of FH7 has been further extended so won't happen until at least Q? 2020 or when ever would keep their users informed. It just seems that the My-History online retailer is the only place with any information for any future purchaser of Family Historian of what they might expect.

I shouldn't grumble I have found out one thing over the last few months Ancestral Sources is not for me, I persevered with it for a month or more and just don't like it. I suppose the last wee while of being idle with FH6, has let me look at how I work and want to work with my tree in the future, rule out programs I don't like (but had kept using) and bring in ones to replace them. Sort out how I want my back ups to work and clean up my filing system and make it a bit cleaner and less cumbersome than it had got. Bonus.
William

jsphillips
Superstar

Post by jsphillips » 24 May 2020 13:14

Thanks all for your postings. I also hope that all Calico staff is healthy and going along OK .
COVID has changed many things ...with no release they will lose Income and go along the collapse lines of other big companies.
RM8 have released a video showing many of their new features.
By now Calico could give the potential users something similar to "Not before Christmas 2020" or similar.
Many of my U3A users I have put on an old outdated version of FTM 2012 to get them used to using some software.
If RM8 is due out within a couple of months and no likely announcement from Calico they will go that way. It is like many things in life today "no communication"
Many years back FTM normally bought out a new version every one to two years.
Trying not to knock FH6 it has served me well!! I was a Director of a very large well known Group before I retired and we had to set deadlines for new products and computer software changes or lose creditability and business.
So fingers crossed some release soon
Keep healthy all of you