* Slow save of netries over network

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
pricero1
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Slow save of netries over network

Post by pricero1 »

Nick,

I've bought a new laptop (Vista). I've networked it to my desktop PC where I'm storing my family history data.

If I run GEDCOM Census from the laptop, it takes 5 minutes to save one census entry. The speed of opening the GEDCOM file is 1 or 2 seconds (my file is about 1.4 Mb). Family Historian has no problem in saving the GEDCOM file when I access it over the network from the laptop.

I have no speed issues with GEDCOM Census if I run it directly from my desktop PC.

Any ideas?

Robin

ID:2917
RalfofAmber
Famous
Family Historian: None

Post by RalfofAmber »

Vista has known sever problems with network writes - have you installed Service Pack 1?
pricero1
Platinum

Post by pricero1 »

Yes - SP1 installed.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Robin

I can't see anything obvious that would cause this other than the method GC uses to save isn't particularly efficient. I would love to rewrite large parts of GC if I only had the time.

It would be interesting to exclude the folder from being virus scanned (on both machines) to see if it makes much difference.

Apologies for this but I've just never tried using GC across a network so wasn't aware of the problem. I assume other people have similar issues?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
pricero1
Platinum

Post by pricero1 »

Nick - thnaks for the suggestion. I turned off antivirus and firewall on both PCs. The save took 8 minutes.

Robin
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

Robin, what I might do, is to copy the gedcom file locally and work on it there, copying it back when you finish. I use syncback LE (free) to check and copy changed files between my machines and it works very well.

Mirroring the My Documents also has the advantage of being a backup for the master copies at the same time.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
pricero1
Platinum

Post by pricero1 »

Thanks for that idea, Jane. However, I think the solution for me will be to just do my GEDCOM Census work on my desktop.