* Gedcom Census Crashing

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
stevef999
Gold
Family Historian: None

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by stevef999 »

Gedcom Census has started crashing with a

'run-time error '6':

Overflow'
message.

This happens every time I start entering data.

This started just after I had entered some new census info using Gedcom Census. I saved my file, made some minor adjustments using FH and when I started entering more census data I began getting the above error message.

I'm running Windows Vista and Gedcom Census v6.06. If it's of any help my Gedcom file is fairly large (29770 individuals and 13.7MB in size).

I've tried opening my file on a laptop and it worked fine with Gedcom Census 5.4 but when I upgraded to v6 I got the same problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Steve

ID:2947
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by NickWalker »

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

This sounds very similar to an issue raised by 'Mezentia' a few months ago which was easily fixed but I've not released a new version yet.

Can you look at the Record IDs for your multimedia records and see if any have an ID over 32,000? If so then until the next version is released the best solution is to follow the instructions I gave in reply to Mezentia:

Gedcom Census Save Problems

If this isn't the same problem then let me know and I'll get in touch via email.

Regards

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
stevef999
Gold

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by stevef999 »

Hi Nick,

many thanks for the reply.

'This sounds very similar to an issue raised by 'Mezentia'...'

I should have said that I already tried what was suggested in this thread without it helping. Just in case, I tried renumbering all my records (multimedia and otherwise) but to no avail.

Steve
stevef999
Gold

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by stevef999 »

I've just been doing some more checking and I've found that the place name Wemyss occurs in my file 32770 times (according to FH work 'with data...places') and the crash only appears to occur when I enter Wemyss as the census place.

Does this help pinpoint the fault?

Steve
NickWalker
Megastar

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by NickWalker »

Yes that probably does explain it. Send me an email (Nick AT GedcomCensus DOT Com) and I'll send you a fixed version.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Gedcom Census Crashing

Post by NickWalker »

For information I've now sent a version of Gedcom Census to Steve with a fix for the problem. Steve has reported that his issue is now resolved. This fix will appear in the next version of Gedcom Census when I finally get around to releasing it! In the meantime if anyone else experiences this problem please get in touch.
Nick Walker