* Text Size Issue

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
rt
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Text Size Issue

Post by rt »

Nick,

Not sure if this has been raised before. Using W7, but I guess this issue may arise with other versions of Windows. On my laptop I set the display test size to 100% (because I'm comfortable with the size, and it gets more info onto the screen), rather than the 125% default.

Using this text option and opening the Census Date Check screen, some of the text on the grey/blue areas of the screen doesn't scale, and becomes unreadable.

Please can you advise whether a remedy can be added to your list of improvements?

thanks,
Dave

ID:4223
NickWalker
Megastar

Text Size Issue

Post by NickWalker »

The default text size in Windows 7 (on my systems at least) is 100% so not sure why you think it is 125%? I just tried viewing the date check screen in 125% and it looked OK to me? Is it possible you've change the DPI setting for fonts too? The text size looks a lot bigger on your screen shot than on mine. What screen resolution is your laptop set at?

I should also add that I won't be releasing any more versions of Gedcom Census. The replacement for Gedcom Census will be out early next year.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
rt
Platinum

Text Size Issue

Post by rt »

Nick,

Thanks for the quick response. The laptop is a Dell Studio XPS with screen resolution set to 1920 x 1080 (, which I believe is the recommended setting).
I'm enclosing screenshots for the text display and DPI/ text size settings. These settings work with my other applications, and its only the Census Date Check screen (not the main screen) in Gedcom Census that gives the issue.
Happy to provide more information if these images don't hit exactly what it is you need to know.

NickWalker
Megastar

Text Size Issue

Post by NickWalker »

I found a link that suggests this is a bug in Windows 7 in that your machine defaulted to 125% and then scales the MS Sans Serif font (which Gedcom Census uses) up but when you change to 100% it doesn't scale it back down.

The article includes a reg file to apply some simple changes to the registry to apparently fix the font issue. I'd recommend you only do this if you know what you're doing and I can't guarantee it will work but it looks trustworthy.

The article I read is here: http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordyna ... cs-gp.aspx

This is the download: inside the zip file is a reg file which when you run it will apparently fix the font issue.

If you decide to do this let me know whether it works

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
rt
Platinum

Text Size Issue

Post by rt »

Nick,

Very many thanks again...

In brief, success! I took the precaution of backing up the registry / creating a system restore point, and then applied the fix in the download (having checked the font values in the registry did indeed show the problem as indicated).

Confirmation below: