* large family

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
skeptik4321
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

large family

Post by skeptik4321 »

I have 16 people at one address and have tried several different ways to enter them all using the auto button but cannot do it - can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!

ID:2996
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

large family

Post by NickWalker »

I'm not sure what you mean? You add the 16 people as usual into the boxes at the bottom of the screen: as you get down to the last row scroll buttons will appear: Gedcom Census will allow you to enter as many people as you like in one census entry. You can then use the Auto text button in the same way as usual.

Does that answer your question?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
skeptik4321
Platinum

large family

Post by skeptik4321 »

Thanks Nick, that is exactly what I would have expected. But there are no scroll buttons. There are (faded out)scroll buttons next to the Source Note and Autotext boxes but none at all opposite the bottom section where the names are transferred from the Individuals list. Am I missing something here?
NickWalker
Megastar

large family

Post by NickWalker »

They are not normal scroll bar buttons for reasons I won't bore you with. Once you've chosen the 11th person a button with an up-arrow appears above the delete buttons (the ones with X on them). If you were to click this button to scroll up you would then see a down-arrow button.

Just to clarify, when the first person you have selected is in the top row on the screen then the up-arrow button isn't shown. Similarly, if the last person you selected is in the bottom row of the screen then the down-arrow button isn't shown.

Hope this makes sense

Nick
Nick Walker

skeptik4321
Platinum

large family

Post by skeptik4321 »

Thanks Nick, I shall try it again tomorrow!
steveabye

large family

Post by steveabye »

I've had this a few times. I exit the program, without saving, and restart. Problem always clears.

Set up WIN98se, GEDcom v6.0.6. Has happened on all versions of GEDcom I've used.
NickWalker
Megastar

large family

Post by NickWalker »

Steve: Do you mean that you've added an 11th person and not had the down arrow button appear? Its not a problem I've ever seen or had reported before but then it is quite rare that I add more than 10 people to one entry.

Nick
Nick Walker

skeptik4321
Platinum

large family

Post by skeptik4321 »

I have tried a dummy run using Nick's instructions and it works perfectly now. Many thanks![smile]
steveabye

large family

Post by steveabye »

Nick Walker said:
Steve: Do you mean that you've added an 11th person and not had the down arrow button appear? Its not a problem I've ever seen or had reported before but then it is quite rare that I add more than 10 people to one entry.

Nick
Yes.
A couple of families have over 12 members but as there are only a few I've not bothered to make an issue of it.
Also my Laptop is about 10 years old and collapses with exhaustion if running memory hungry programs. I think it’s all the toing and frowing between memory and hard-drive that causes the problem, it goes in to asthmatic mode.[grin]
jmurphy
Megastar

large family

Post by jmurphy »

I've finally installed FH and GC on the XP computer, and have just had the same problem -- my grandmother's household has 12 people in the 1900 Census.

Steve's suggestion of losing down GC and starting fresh fixed the problem.

Jan
NickWalker
Megastar

large family

Post by NickWalker »

Not sure why thay would happen. Anyway it won't be a problem in the new program when it appears as I've used a more convential grid/spreadsheet control for entering the census data which scrolls automatically. I wrote the original Gedcom Census in a few hours one wet sunday afternoon and I used multiple text boxes for each census row just for speed really. All the following versions were developments of that. With this new program I've had a chance to start again and design with a bit more care.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker

jmurphy
Megastar

large family

Post by jmurphy »

Thanks for the reply, Nick!

As you said earlier, this doesn't come up very often -- but my grandmother had three brothers and seven sisters. I can't complain since it made it much easier to find in the census! :D

Looking forward to the new program (and willing to test if you need people who are still on FH3).

P.S. I have lots of Google Wave invites left, if you would be interested in the preview.

Jan