* Start up problem

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Newbury
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Start up problem

Post by Newbury »

I just started using GC and apart from a problem with images which i will address in a seperate query, I loaded about half a dozen censi OK. Suddenly some weird things happen.Please bear with me here.

When I click to open GC a separate window opens showing all the same FH ged files. I have to click on all files to see again the GC icons.I click again on the GC icon and get the following message 'do you want to open this file by default whenever you use GC' I click Yes and get the next message

'There are no individuals in the selected file. This is probably because the file selected was not a GEDCOM file. Please select another Gedcom family history file from the file menu to try again'

When I click OK GC opens.The source ID which had been counting previous entries is now set back to 1

I can continue going thru this process although it is cumbersome, but would prefer to have it work properly.Also, since the source ID set back to 1,does this represent a problem with previous census files already entered and saved.

Comments and suggestions welcome

David

ID:4280
Newbury
Gold

Start up problem

Post by Newbury »

Further to my post, just noticed , when i finally open GC as described above, it is not linked to my FH file.HELP

David
Newbury
Gold

Start up problem

Post by Newbury »

PS again. I fiddled around some more and lo and behold I got it to work properly. Dont ask me to explain.The solution was to forget about it and have a cup of coffee. While meditating I got an idea to try something different, and one thing led to another.I hope nobody has been spending time on this one.

I will post shortly on my images problem.

david
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Start up problem

Post by NickWalker »

I appreciate you say you have found a solution now but just to explain the first issue.

Gedcom Census is asking you to open your family history file, the one you use in Family Historian which is probably in your My Documents (in your Family Historian Projects folder if you use v4 of FH). It sounds like instead you tried to open the Gedcom Census program (i.e. you tried to get Gedcom Census to load in Gedcom Census!)which of course isn't a family history file and doesn't include any individuals as the error correctly stated! You then told it you wanted it to always load this file every time. The solution is to go to File->Open and select the correct family history file.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/